• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can't remove old rod from master cylinder

Jaysam

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
I have a '74 Satty with manual brakes that I'm trying to replace the master cylinder on. The master cylinder I pulled off the car, I cant seem to remove the push rod from and the new MC doesn't have one on it. Any tips? The service manual doesn't list anything about swapping out the rod. Thanks for any replies.

My way.
Leave the master cylinder attached to the firewall.
Go inside and jerk the peddle toward you.
That rubber bushing is stuck in the bore.

if it tears up, use a small slice of fuel line to replace it.

Take the saddle off your floor jack. Place the mastercylinder rod through the saddle opening. Place a long socket extender through the rod hole. Pump the jack and the rod will extract.

Take the saddle off your floor jack. Place the mastercylinder rod through the saddle opening. Place a long socket extender through the rod hole. Pump the jack and the rod will extract.
nice, thanks. I did replace the bushing since the new MC came with one. Just having a heck of a time getting the new bushing into the MC.

Use silicon paste.

If you don't have silicone paste dielectric grease will work, also.

Mine was so stuck I had to remount the MC with a little spacer, to get it away from the firewall a bit, reattach the rod to brake pedal, and pull up super hard on the brake pedal to get it to separate. Though i love the jack idea.

As said above, a little dielectric grease should ease install and keep things from freezing up too bad... for the next time that we hope never comes.

Auto Transport Service
Back