• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Covers and Carports in Florida

mosquito13

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Been blowing thru a car cover and carport top a year because of sun break down. Tried the rubberized silicone white roofing paint on a carport cover two years and a hurricane ago and it still looks newish . Decided to try it on a car cover. Put the old tearing up cover on the car then taped visqueen covering everything to the ground. Put the new car cover on top and used a 4" roller to coat the new cover. Cover remained soft and flexible . Will see if I get the same results as the carport cover. Did this to a kayak cover and it's now two years old also. Added benefit to the car top was it lowered the underside of the covers temperature 35'F.

IMG_20230712_135946961.jpg

IMG_20230712_112234112.jpg

IMG_20230712_114853486.jpg

IMG_20230712_102220888.jpg

I would be more worried about the car being flooded or blown away in Florida! By the way it's 57* here in Michigan this AM and we had a real nice rain last evening. Might reach 78* today.
Mike

I used it on a RV awning. The awning had just about had it so I figured it couldn't hurt, still on 5 years later.

I'd be concerned with condensation trapping under the car cover in that climate.

I would be more worried about the car being flooded or blown away in Florida! By the way it's 57* here in Michigan this AM and we had a real nice rain last evening. Might reach 78* today.
Mike
I am 25 ' above sea level and five miles from the beach. Will take a occasional hurricane over a 4+ months of $h#t weather a year. Left Wisconsin the day after I graduated high school for the south.

It's a waterproof cover to start. You think it breathed?
If the cover doesn't breathe.....not good especially if the car has good paint on it. I built a steel carport behind my shop 30 years ago and then tethered it down and haven't lost it yet and it survive hurricane Ike....and I'm in south east Texas 9 miles from Galveston Bay. Most of my junk is inside my shop but a 95 Dakota lives under that carport (along with a bunch of other junk) and has been doing ok. If I needed something covered, the carport will protect the breathable cover. I have a buddy that covered a car in plastic then put on a car cover then a trap thinking it would protect it.......nope. Blistered the crap out of the paint.

If the cover doesn't breathe.....not good especially if the car has good paint on it. I built a steel carport behind my shop 30 years ago and then tethered it down and haven't lost it yet and it survive hurricane Ike....and I'm in south east Texas 9 miles from Galveston Bay. Most of my junk is inside my shop but a 95 Dakota lives under that carport (along with a bunch of other junk) and has been doing ok. If I needed something covered, the carport will protect the breathable cover. I have a buddy that covered a car in plastic then put on a car cover then a trap thinking it would protect it.......nope. Blistered the crap out of the paint.
Small world , lived in Galveston for awhile. Bartended at the San Lois pool bar.

Auto Transport Service
Back