• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Leaving Better, Couple of Videos

padam

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
I switched over from Super Stock springs to Clavert split mono leafs this year.
I also went to larger front tires so I could lower the front end some.

The car is leaving much better, I don't have to steer it at all. Last year I was all over the track.

Of course, now I have other problems. My 60' times are off by .05 to .06 for the same ET.
I have a complete different clutch setup and I'm afraid it is slipping too much, so still trying to figure that out.

In addition, I can't cut a light at all. I'm anywhere from .200 red to .200 late. I think the car is reacting much faster, but it's really hard to tell since I am so inconsistant.

I did get my Gopro working, so I have linked to a couple videos of the same run from a couple of weeks ago (finally figured out how to crop.)

Nice car, good passes. Reaction time might be tougher with a stick shift but I bet the fun factor is 300%.
No Helmet?
bry

Nice car, good passes. Reaction time might be tougher with a stick shift but I bet the fun factor is 300%.
No Helmet?
bry
The simple act of turning on the GoPro made me forget to put my helmet on

I’ll second the comment about shifting well! It looks like the car falls off a bit after what seems a good launch.

The simple act of turning on the GoPro made me forget to put my helmet on
I once made a pass with my entire fire suit on and a ball cap. I cant blame a Go pro , they weren't invented yet.Lol. I had friends push me to the waterbox ...which I never did before. Amazing how one little change can affect your routine.

It looks SO much better leaving w the monoleafs vs the old setup w SS springs.
It definately sounds like the clutch is slipping alot in first, enough that is not maximizing your e.t. Sounds like the Engine pulling down on the top end of first cause the clutch is engaging or is it something else...dunno
regardless...I enjoyed watching both videos. pretty awesome!

I’m actually trying to slip the clutch in 1st, it’s just tough to find the right amount. That’s the reason for the GoPro, so I can see what it’s doing.

Incidentally, that was a college chick driving her grandads stick car n the other lane.
I eliminated her in round 2, she went .498 red. I red lit also, but she did it 1st.

I like it!! Your top video put a smile on my face lol.

What track are you at??

I like it!! Your top video put a smile on my face lol.

What track are you at??
That’s at Magnolia in Ohio.

That was a time trial for UMTR United Manual Transmission Racers.

heck of a good job shifting ...
first run looked like it was spinning ...second didnt...
I appreciate the compliments on my shifting , but the faceplate gears make it pretty easy. I’m trying to keep the gas down, but old habits are hard to break.

Both vids are the same run. Clutch is slipping a little too much I think. @weedburner ?

the joys of life :thumbsup:
That’s the truth. Same reason I’m laying on my back on the garage floor this morning, getting ready to do it again tomorrow.

Both vids are the same run. Clutch is slipping a little too much I think. @weedburner ?

Hard to read the tach but overall, the clutch was doing what you want it to do. You want it to slip to keep the engine up during launch, but on the other end still pull the engine down enough to hold in high gear. It was holding high gear just fine, I would bump 2-step 500 per pass and see where that leads.

Grant

Nice videos...

looked to be spinning, off the start (?), even slipping the clutch as you say (?)
may have been just an elusion.

good thing you enjoy it, that's what it's all about

just an observation
maybe get it to transfer some weight better to the back
get the front end to lift some/more separation,
(CalTracs recommends like 5"s, but not all cars are the same either)
it seems like it sits pretty high in the back too,
doesn't seem to squat & stay there at all (or too lil') after you leave
could be harboring it to get the correct weight transfer, stay there on the launch

shock adjustments maybe

anyway, have fun

So I made a couple improvements;
Replaced factory clutch linkage rods with ones I made with hiem ends, that took a lot of slop out and got the pedal and stuff where it needed to be.

After some trial and error I got the clutch tamer working right. Without it the tires spin off the line.

Last thing I did was bumped the 2-step from 4300 to 4700 rpm. That seemed to cut around .050 from my ET.

Anyway, there’s another video below.
This is at Summit Motor Sports Park in Norwalk Oh last Saturday.
This looks more like the way the car should behave.
12.024 112.81 1/4
7.674 90.15 1/8
1.663. 60’

Did I mention I was at SMP?
What a palace!

I had to watch it 3 times. Awesome.
Still pulling the engine down out of the hole.
So what's the point of the clutch tamer? Reduce breakage?

It has to pull the engine down some, or spin the tires, or break something.

So the clutch tamer controls that.

Replaced factory clutch linkage rods with ones I made with hiem ends, that took a lot of slop out and got the pedal and stuff where it needed to be.

After some trial and error I got the clutch tamer working right. Without it the tires spin off the line.

Last thing I did was bumped the 2-step from 4300 to 4700 rpm. That seemed to cut around .050 from my ET.

12.024 112.81 1/4
7.674 90.15 1/8
1.663. 60’

What a palace!

Oh I forgot, I also increased the base pressure on the clutch.

12.024 112.81 1/4
7.674 90.15 1/8
1.663. 60’

What a palace!

That put a smile on my face. Great video and great run. Car sounds amazing.

Auto Transport Service
Back