• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car show observations and experiences....

A buddy of mine moved into a new house in a country neighborhood. He's got several projects going but the one furthest along is a 56 chevy. Three of his neighbors had seen the cars being unloaded and came over one day to see what he was working on. He said while he was talking to one of the guys in the front of the car he looked and saw the other two guys in the back, one of them pointing and whispering and both shaking their heads. He said "hey, I guess you see the stuff I haven't finished up on the rear there. It's a work in progress". They both looked up surprised, mumbled something and shuffled off real quick. Needless to say they haven't returned. Bad enough at a show, but in his own workshop.

Golden Rule.....
"If One cant say something nice,,why does One say anything at all?"

This is why I bring my dog most places...at least I know I'll have someone to have an intelligent conversation with when I get there.

Trying to find some pics of that Impala but so far this is the only one..this is me and my 7 year old daughter in 1999 getting our picture snapped before dropping her off at a neighbors house for a party. My house is the big gray one over my shoulder and you can see the *** end of the Impala parked in my side yard , over my shoulder.

View attachment 412851
Doesn't that suck? Realizing that you didn't take photos or lost photos of some really cool things you used to have.

If you put something on display, be it a car or something else, you have to be prepared for the good and the bad. Just seems to be people's nature to look for faults. Can't please everyone.
I had my car at the recent local World of Wheels and while I received many compliments, there are some people that felt it was open season for criticism. I usually turned my back and walked away rather than listen to dimwits. One guy argued with me that my car was not a '65 since he felt it had the wrong hood and fenders. Another told me the aluminum heads were not correct and then walked away. But the next guy said cool car and all was good again.

it almost seems like there is a genetic predisposition in the male species to always PROVE that he knows SOMETHING about hot cars and to then tell anyone within hearing all about it. Generally the man in question knows very little on the subject, other than 2nd hand outdated info, or, info he just read in the past issue of a car magazine. You will know them by the same old BS that comes out of their mouths. " Ah...you know that car didn't come with that intake on it from the factory...right? Or, hey man, you runnin a PURPLE cam in that 440? ( engine is a 383). They only made one like this so this cant be it or you wouldn't have it out here in public." Sigh.

Or the guy that says, "I had one just like it but it was different".

I would never bad mouth a persons car. Whether they built it themselves, paid someone else to do the work, or purchased it the way it is. Somewhere, somehow, some way, they put effort into getting the car. I may not like certain wheels, paint job, or whatever but would never intentionally voice it for others to here. My likes and dislikes are rarely ever going to be the same as anybody else. But those are my personal opinions, and everybody knows that opinions are like a--holes; everybody has one and some stink. On top of that, I would NEVER tell someone their car has 'incorrect' whatever on it.
Over the years, I've heard how ugly our paint is, or the wheels were ugly. My favorite is hearing how it isn't a REAL roadrunner. Lol

This stuff happens to all car guys, I suppose.
Years back when I had a Camaro, I'd get UNsolicited advice on what I should have done. Wrong wheels, wrong paint, car is too low, etc.

The "nitpicking ********" are why my Dad stopped going to shows,cruises etc ....Why my REAL 70 Coronet R/T Convertible sat in my garage except for occasional drives for years ...He got tired of the people at shows picking it apart cause it wasn't assembly line fresh ......When he passed away I made a sign that I put in the car at EVERY show on the dash that explains it and what it is etc ...the last line is ...I know its not perfect but its how my dad liked it.

You know it's funny how you never really pick your friends based on politics but I can honestly say I don't have any close friends who are Democrats. I know a few that are great people but you just seam to automatically migrate towards the like minded.
I thought i was your friend? Well at least on FBBO forum LOL.... Hope to see you in July and no worries, we aint talking politics LOL

If the conversation begins with, " my brother...Uncle...DAd....Cousin, etc then it's most likel;y BS.

I like the guys, and girls, who begin with, " hey man, that's cool, how you did that! I went a different way with MY car, come over there when you get free and have a look." And points at the ACTUAL car 50 feet away.

There is no excuse for being critical of someones car and there is no excuse to be rude to a person who means well but is uniformed about your car and asks what some would say are dumb questions. I hate car snobs who wont even look at you when you tell them how nice there car is or relate a short innocent story about a car you had like theres decades ago, only to have the car owner turn his back on you. I met two guys who had really nice GTO's side by side. I went to talk to them for a few seconds, the show was not crowed, they were not preoccupied. I mentioned i had a 64 Vert tri power and a 69 GTO. These two ******** would'nt even look at me and it was obvious.

I met two guys who had really nice GTO's side by side.. I mentioned i had a 64 Vert tri power and a 69 GTO. These two ******** would'nt even look at me and it was obvious.

That's because they were GTO owners.
The years you owned were the best. They were jealous. 64s were my personal favorite of that car.
I never liked any vehicles with stacked headlights.
You guys are right, sore losers are the worst. I was raised to appreciate compliments from strangers.

When I see people post vehicles for sale and complain about people giving compliments my thoughts are "what a dick." Makes me want to PM them offers half of their asking price

That's because they were GTO owners.
The years you owned were the best. They were jealous. 64s were my personal favorite of that car.
I never liked any vehicles with stacked headlights.
You guys are right, sore losers are the worst. I was raised to appreciate compliments from strangers.

When I see people post vehicles for sale and complain about people giving compliments my thoughts are "what a dick." Makes me want to PM them offers half of their asking price
Whaaaaaaat? 67 Ford Fairlanes are flat out sexy!

Haven't taken my car to any shows intentionally. I drove to one with more modern cars and they waved me in and then gave only compliments. My rule is that when I go to shows I look for the good and don't criticize if I see something. I figure the people who brought the cars didn't come for that, but came to let others see them.

Auto Transport Service
Back