• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car show observations and experiences....

I drive this daily, fake from front to back. I can't tell you the bs I get, there's always several people that feel the need to criticize it or me for it. Ask me if I care. Nothing like a big block car though.
IMG_20170109_182728925.jpg

Haven't taken my car to any shows intentionally. I drove to one with more modern cars and they waved me in and then gave only compliments. My rule is that when I go to shows I look for the good and don't criticize if I see something. I figure the people who brought the cars didn't come for that, but came to let others see them.
I don't go over to cars I don't like. Camaros,Vettes, Novas (excluding Chevy 2s) or any vehicle of any make after 1972. Go nowhere near them.
So I never need to worry

I thought i was your friend? Well at least on FBBO forum LOL.... Hope to see you in July and no worries, we aint talking politics LOL
Notice I say "close" and "I know a few that are great people".:thumbsup:

July as in Carlisle? I'd love to but I doubt it, it's a long boring drive when the Nats are less than 2 hours away.

That's because they were GTO owners.
The years you owned were the best. They were jealous. 64s were my personal favorite of that car.
I never liked any vehicles with stacked headlights.
You guys are right, sore losers are the worst. I was raised to appreciate compliments from strangers.

When I see people post vehicles for sale and complain about people giving compliments my thoughts are "what a dick." Makes me want to PM them offers half of their asking price
I'm just the opposite, I love the cars with stacked lights.

Can't do it. Don't care for stacked headlights. Lol
Man... and I thought you were Kool:poke:.

One of my all time favorites, they're like magnets at a show for me. Speaking of that I've got a car show story about one.

A close friend put on a show and asked me to judge, while walking the field I came across a 67 Fairlane.. (this was a fairly solid car but the body and paint was horrific along with most of the craftsmanship). I stopped and talked to the owner for a bit telling how much I liked the 67's, he says it's for sale.. of coarse I light up thinking this could be a project and ask for a price! He says Fifteen, O.K. now how do I ask which Fifteen he's referring to without either insulting him or making him think it's worth $15,000? He meant $15,000!!!! I don't get where these guys get their idea's?:rolleyes:

Here's a idea that i always do the few times i go to car shows. I like all cars makes and models. From muscle cars Mopar,GM, Ford, English cars to the four door 6 cylinders. I especially go out of my way to tell the guys with those stock 6 cylinder grandfathers four door car how nice there cars are( and they are ) Theses guys always appreciate it, dont blow you off or are rude. There was two young guys with one of those high performance Taurus's, the car was in nice shape but it was by itself and nobody was talking or looking at it. These guys were maybe 20 years old at the most. I made it a point to tell them how nice a shape there car was in and had a nice conversation with them about there cars and others.

SHO Taurus.
Those things were hot. For a time State Trooper's had them as squad cars.
I would have gone up and admired it to.

I love these stories but they make me reticent about bringing my car to big shows. It's certainly not perfect and I would have a hard time listening to guys telling me all the stuff that's not oem about it.
Heck, I brag about how imperfect my car is. :) My car is built to show others they can have a classic car on a budget and originality be damned! I have a sign I put up that lists all the stuff that's been done to the car, and what I've paid to do it, and I guarantee you I get more people stopping to ask questions about how they can do what we've done that some guy with a 100% original car gets.

They may get the trophies, but I get the fun. :)

Reminds me of Ferris Beullers day off. " Your at is a piece of **** Cameron, but at least you have a piece of ****, I don't even have a piece of ****."

Man... and I thought you were Kool:poke:.

One of my all time favorites, they're like magnets at a show for me. Speaking of that I've got a car show story about one.

A close friend put on a show and asked me to judge, while walking the field I came across a 67 Fairlane.. (this was a fairly solid car but the body and paint was horrific along with most of the craftsmanship). I stopped and talked to the owner for a bit telling how much I liked the 67's, he says it's for sale.. of coarse I light up thinking this could be a project and ask for a price! He says Fifteen, O.K. now how do I ask which Fifteen he's referring to without either insulting him or making him think it's worth $15,000? He meant $15,000!!!! I don't get where these guys get their idea's?:rolleyes:
A Guy i knew back in 80's had a 66 Fairlane GTA w/ 390. I dig the Fairlanes & Comets.

Here's a idea that i always do the few times i go to car shows. I like all cars makes and models. From muscle cars Mopar,GM, Ford, English cars to the four door 6 cylinders. I especially go out of my way to tell the guys with those stock 6 cylinder grandfathers four door car how nice there cars are( and they are ) Theses guys always appreciate it, dont blow you off or are rude. There was two young guys with one of those high performance Taurus's, the car was in nice shape but it was by itself and nobody was talking or looking at it. These guys were maybe 20 years old at the most. I made it a point to tell them how nice a shape there car was in and had a nice conversation with them about there cars and others.
Steve, do You mean the SHO Taurus w/ the 3.4 ltr V-8??

A Guy i knew back in 80's had a 66 Fairlane GTA w/ 390. I dig the Fairlanes & Comets.
I dig the early Comets.
My dad had a Caliente identical to this one. 1964 289 4 spd.It was our family car. I think they've gorgeous. Want to have one of my own.
Screenshot_20170413-060934.jpg

But in 65 they went to the stacked headlights and lost me
Screenshot_20170413-061117.jpg

Greg - The 2nd Friday car show in Auburn is a good venue. They close down Lincoln Ave. at 5 pm, goes on till dark. You can walk the length of the street, beer in hand, checking out all the cars. Next to Mopars in the Park it's my favorite car show.

I quit even going to big car shows...
I'd much rather go to a race instead, but that's me,
more my crowd...

I could care less what others think about my car or
if they get pissed if I don't like theirs either...

I don't go around critiquing everyone else's ****...
I do go to the occasional meet & greet,
maybe once or twice a season at most
{that's enough for me, it's informal & just some weekly gathering in good weather}
at a local burger & shakes joint on Friday afternoons,
in a small town a few miles away...
Most attendants there are mostly older car guys, all drive their ****,
most work on their own ****...
Sports-cars, Hot Rods & Muscle-cars, some Bikes, nice Trucks, Jeeps, etc.

Some are way too into themselves, overly **** retentive types too...
Some are just throwing money at projects, no hands on stuff...
There's a place for all types, some of each category are good & bad...
I just avoid the people that are way too into their own ****
or the types that have the need to critique everyone else's ****
or the people that are overly rude, you know the types, them
know-it-all/better-than-thou types too...
{usually alcohol or group mentality influenced}

IMO some people seem to bring on some/if not most of the grief
on themselves too, seems some people have to
"push it & are magnets for it", the same guys always complain too...

"Build it how you want it, drive it like you stole it,
use what ever parts you deem necessary, who cares what others think,
life is far too short for the naysayers & self proclaimed know-it-alls
or phonies that bring that unnecessary grief on themselves or others"

Last edited:
Yes the SHO but i thought it had the V6
Ford made both sixes & eights. I drool for that little V-8, wanted it for da bug, but since the SHO is a transverse set up, engine cant be mounted longitudinally
I dig the early Comets.
My dad had a Caliente identical to this one. 1964 289 4 spd.It was our family car. I think they've gorgeous. Want to have one of my own.View attachment 413119

But in 65 they went to the stacked headlights and lost meView attachment 413120
This has to be an exception to the stacked headlight no. 65 Buick Riviera......stacked & hidden behind clamshells until needed, but the lines remained basically unchanged. I hated hidden lamps that turned the car into a cock-a-roach when deployed....like 63-67 Corvettes.

I've had my car in car shows and of course, those dorks start showing up and talking about what's wrong with my car. I've done virtually everything on my by myself. So when these dorks talk down about my car and discover I'm the owner, the ones dumb enough to question me about my car, I look them in the eye and say "I don't know, I bought the car this way. I don't know anything about cars.." They usually just walk away....

Auto Transport Service
Back