• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car sways under hard acceleration

Agree with above.
We all started out just like you, I have confidence you’ll get there. Have you checked front suspension for wore out ball joints, tie rod ends, things like that? My S/S springs have aluminum bushings in the eyes to keep side movements down. Spool or posi?

I have always liked a little rake on some cars. A 63 64 fury would look good at a little angle. The ram charger and max wedge cars always look like they were ready to go to the strip with a little more height in the back. We have a 71 curious yellow 4 speed 340 duster and a 65 dart gt that have the HD factory springs. I think they have 6 on one side and 7 on the other. I will have to go count. Both cars stand tall even after all these years and I don`t mind the look. But, I always liked the charger body style sitting near level.

Agree with above.
We all started out just like you, I have confidence you’ll get there. Have you checked front suspension for wore out ball joints, tie rod ends, things like that? My S/S springs have aluminum bushings in the eyes to keep side movements down. Spool or posi?
It's been a while since I have checked the front end out. We have replaced everything. 4.10 posi right now can't remember which carrier but I will probably go with a aftermarket posi when it gives up vs a spool. Still have the 8 3/4 stock axles, new wheel bearings years ago. Goal is mid 11's since no roll bar.

The original rear end was a open 3.23. Funny story why we had to replace it. In the late 80's my brother and cousin passed my dad on the highway. I was riding with Dad. They flew around us probably 100ish as they kept on it after they passed us. All of a sudden about a 100 yards ahead of us a cloud of thick white smoke came out of the charger. Going over a 100 it was a jet stream the size of the car. Out of the plume of smoke parts were flying everywhere. The header mount mufflers and oil cooler lines came flying out of the cloud and little unexplained peices went everywhere. They coasted about 3/4 of a mile. Since the windows were both down...they couldn't see there feet inside the car from the smoke. It almost coasted over the last hill but it stopped just short. We all got out 2 push the car up the hill the last 50'. As we were pushing the drive shaft fell off on the ground. The rear end had ran out of grease...Momentarily locked up... broke the rear ujoint .The driveshaft slammed so hard on the floor it exploded the transmission The starter was laying in the headers. Bellhousing bolts were sticking in the engine unattached...no bellhousing left or tail shaft anywhere... no exhaust , bent driveshaft and toasted rear end. We managed to brake everything but the engine. I was probably 17.

It's been a while since I have checked the front end out. We have replaced everything. 4.10 posi right now can't remember which carrier but I will probably go with a aftermarket posi when it gives up vs a spool. Still have the 8 3/4 stock axles, new wheel bearings years ago. Goal is mid 11's since no roll bar.

The original rear end was a open 3.23. Funny story why we had to replace it. In the late 80's my brother and cousin passed my dad on the highway. I was riding with Dad. They flew around us probably 100ish as they kept on it after they passed us. All of a sudden about a 100 yards ahead of us a cloud of thick white smoke came out of the charger. Going over a 100 it was a jet stream the size of the car. Out of the plume of smoke parts were flying everywhere. The header mount mufflers and oil cooler lines came flying out of the cloud and little unexplained peices went everywhere. They coasted about 3/4 of a mile. Since the windows were both down...they couldn't see there feet inside the car from the smoke. It almost coasted over the last hill but it stopped just short. We all got out 2 push the car up the hill the last 50'. As we were pushing the drive shaft fell off on the ground. The rear end had ran out of grease...Momentarily locked up... broke the rear ujoint .The driveshaft slammed so hard on the floor it exploded the transmission The starter was laying in the headers. Bellhousing bolts were sticking in the engine unattached...no bellhousing left or tail shaft anywhere... no exhaust , bent driveshaft and toasted rear end. We managed to brake everything but the engine. I was probably 17.
Never been there but a buddy exploded a clutch and did about that much damage! Just glad I wasn't with him because it pretty much totaled the car Imo, he was lucky he didn't lose some skin. Anyways, a buddy and I were messing with a 4 speed 69 road runner in the early 80'd using leaf springs. It was fun getting it into the mid 11's....no SS springs, no freakin pinon snubber either. Actually, I don't care for either. What we did was stack our own springs. Did not use traction bars but with a slower car, they did work so long as the front contact was at least on the spring eye. Big mistake to let them contact the spring behind the eye and most of the time, the traction bars were home made. Also, using one air shock on the right side usually worked well to keep the car from roll rotating too much. Same as an air bag for people using coil springs but now a days, an anti roll bar is what's used for that. With the amount of HP you say you have, you should consider ladders or even CT's....if your weight bias is decent, the CT's seem to work pretty well.

CT's would be awesome on this car.... hard to beat CT's on a street car..I would think a b body would be a good candidate. I have to fix the sway feeling first.. I have stacked extra springs on a pickup before. Springs aren't that expensive now I just need to pick a set out. I have never been a big fan of the pinion snubber but it is certainly better then nothing and I don't think it can't compare to the ct's for weight transfer.. Ladderbars work great but to much cutting and welding on this car...and a bit of a harsh ride...but I am sure people drive them on the street all the time.
The traction bars we tried were not long enough just like you described. Taking off the car raised a bunch...looked like a 4 wheel drive. At that time we had the 510 w 4.88 and 10.5 x 30.5s 2200 stall and a predator carb. The carb was so responsive taking off it would lift the whole car up even with a carload of people. Until we broke the u bolts on both traction bars.. The car swayed then 2...thought it was from the bars...but it wasn't.
The engine now 4.25 stoke RB..10.5 comp....crane 300 320 .5 /.52. Great pump gas solid cam to lower the dynamic compression..., Ported 452's. Built our own flow bench back then. M1 single plane w 850 double pumper. 2" headers. My guess is closer 2 530 Hp. The dynamic 9 1/2 converter I am putting in doesn't make any sense if it doesn't hook. I came from an era just like you did we went fast on what we had!! And did it on a meager budget.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back