• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car titles

65 cooda

Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
I live in Alabama where titles are not required or available before 1974. I have a 73 roadrunner that I am trying to sell to someone in Arkansas and he is concerned Arkansas may require a title. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks

Do you have a registration that can be signed over that matches the vin on the car?

Exactly like slimt says.... he will need "something" to get a title in Arkansas, so he needs to check what is required to get a title in Arkansas. Either call the Arkansas DMV & get lucky to find someone who knows the answer or maybe call the Arkansas State Patrol to ask.

I live in Alabama where titles are not required or available before 1974. I have a 73 roadrunner that I am trying to sell to someone in Arkansas and he is concerned Arkansas may require a title. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks

California does seemingly "not care" either...
I have bought numerous cars from other States...
They do require a Bill of sale though...

I just recently sold a 1937 model truck w/o a title to a guy in North Carolina. He had a very specific list of what he would need to allow him to get a NC title. I was happy enough to fill out a very detailed bill of sale, as long as a detailed affidavit with lots of information. He said this, along with a couple hundred bucks, should allow him to get it titled in his state. This was a non running project that was last on the road in 1962 according to the old inspection sticker. The buyer should probably contact his state to determine their requirements.

I will never understand why states have to make it difficult by not getting together with other states to co-ordinate law/rules/regulations, especially with respect to vehicle titles. We pay fees, we should always be given a title in any state, period.

form.jpg

I live in Alabama where titles are not required or available before 1974. I have a 73 roadrunner that I am trying to sell to someone in Arkansas and he is concerned Arkansas may require a title. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks[/QUOTE
Go ask your DMV about what you will need. Every state is diiferent and i have found each DMV office is a bit different. Asking the rest of the world makes no sense.

Bought my car in Alabama. Had to have latest registration, notorized bill of sale to get Ky. Title then have inspected by sheriff. No problem.

We up in Canada. When we buy a U.S out of the states car .Its required to have that title thats free and clear for export up to here. Non titled cars make it more difficult

I bought a car from Alabama in the late 90s. Had to have the Al. Registration and motorized bill of sale. Inspected in Ohio and title issued.

Alabama DMV has a form, stating Alabama Title Law that you can put with a Notarized Bill of Sale and a buyer from any other state should be able to obtain a Title in their state.

I will never understand why states have to make it difficult by not getting together with other states to co-ordinate law/rules/regulations, especially with respect to vehicle titles. We pay fees, we should always be given a title in any state, period.

View attachment 691632
I don't think we will ever see that as it requires that people actually know what the hell they are doing for one. It also makes perfect sense! Another reason might be it could hinder dealerships from selling flood cars brought in from other states.
We can't seem to standardize anything in this country as it might prevent logic and honesty from happening, just look at the lack of what's needed in some states to vote: Some you have to show citizenship or an I.D. of some kind, and maybe a DNA sample. In others you can waltz in without anything, vote, walk out the door, turn your hat around walk back in and vote again! I give up! :realcrazy:
:wtf:

The Florida DMV can have clueless people working for them so I never trust what any of them say or do. I walked in with a California Title for a car that I was starting to restore. In CA you just sign the title when you sell the car and apparently the buyer puts his name on it when you appear in front of the clerk to transfer it. In I walked with my signed title and ask "What will I need to do to when I get ready to transfer this"? The clerk looked at it and pulled out this inkstamp and bam the title is now unusable because in Florida it is illegal to have an open title and he voids it right in front of me. My arguments about it being a California Title didn't matter, it was too late. I was lucky to be able to track down the last owner and do it all over again. I now walk in with a photo copy of the Title and ask if there would be any problems with transferring. If they say no I then pull out the real Title and do the work. I will never trust them to know their jobs. Walk into "your" DMV and ask them what is needed and don't take anyone else's word for it. It is up to that clock punching employee as to whether you get what you want and only give them what they need. They are just looking for that standard task without any complications. Try to give it to them.

Last time I renewed my driver's license in person at the California DMV, I signed my name in Arabic. The clerk told me I had to sign it so she could read it. I told her I will sign my name anyway I want. She had to check with a supervisor before agreeing to process my new license.

arabic.png

Last time I renewed my driver's license in person at the California DMV, I signed my name in Arabic. The clerk told me I had to sign it so she could read it. I told her I will sign my name anyway I want. She had to check with a supervisor before agreeing to process my new license.

View attachment 691884

Hmmm I think the clerks we have here could read that.. Im pretty sure I would screw up the spelling or Jibberish though.. :D

I would have challenged that FL title voiding with the location's supervisor.

The FL statutes concerning "open titles" simply impose a fine if you do not register the transferred vehicle within 10 days.

I've had that late fee waived several times (but not all) on out of state vehicle transfers.

Auto Transport Service
Back