• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold starting Issues

Hubert

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
Cold starting on my stock 1974 Roadrunner is a little hard. Have upgraded with new plugs, wires, coil, and the HEI distributer, as well as a brand new 2 barrel carberuter. After sitting overnight ( and this is not new) it needs to crank over numerous times before it will start. After it does start, it acts like it is flooded for the first few minutes and then smooths right out. Anyone have similar issues? Something to just live with or am i missing something. Seems like the gas is running back out of the carburetor. Would a bad fuel pump cause this. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I'm gonna guess the choke
on the carb plus your fast
idle is not adjusted correctly.
You can start it cold by
keeping your foot in it more
than you normally would.
Don't vary the throttle input
until the engine levels out.
(wait until it warms up
some)

Is the choke pull-off operating correctly? Kinda sounds like it’s not opening choke plate slightly like it should.

My suggestions:

Before you set the choke look at the idle speed screw where it sets on the fast idle cam lobe should be on the lowest part after the engine was warm.
If it sits overnight in Florida it likely doesn't need much fuel to fire.
Take off the air cleaner and just tap the accelerator maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a shot, this should pump just a little fuel and set the choke fully closed.
See if the idle speed screw is now on one of the "steps" on the fast idle cam lobe. (It should be)

Without touching the pedal again try and crank it until it fires.
I would expect it to fire in 5 seconds if the timing is good.

Now as soon as it fires the choke pull off should open the choke plate approximately 1/4" from fully closed.
If it doesn't it's either adjusted improperly, unplugged or the diaphragm is bad.

Hopefully this helps.

Cold starting on my stock 1974 Roadrunner is a little hard. Have upgraded with new plugs, wires, coil, and the HEI distributer, as well as a brand new 2 barrel carberuter. After sitting overnight ( and this is not new) it needs to crank over numerous times before it will start. After it does start, it acts like it is flooded for the first few minutes and then smooths right out. Anyone have similar issues? Something to just live with or am i missing something. Seems like the gas is running back out of the carburetor. Would a bad fuel pump cause this. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Solved. Discovered the fuel pump was leaking and probably leaking back. Replaced and starts right up. Also can now run after market air without the rpm being drawn down to a stall.

Auto Transport Service
Back