• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb Leaking

MikeBarn

Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
My front outboard carb (6 pack set-up part # 0-4365-1) was leaking a pin size hole that was shooting out gas from the needle and seat. (see diagram)

Screenshot2011-08-16at111919AM.png

I tried tightening the screw and bolt but it wasn't properly threading/grabbing. Upon further inspection it seems the previous owner stripped the threads on the carb bowl (my guess is the O-ring was bad and he over compensated by tightening the needle/seat).

Since the carbs and engine are matching numbers I really don't want to replace the entire outboard carb. I'd also rather not spend the $375.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure the threads are toast? have you tried to clean them up with a thread chaser or tap? Perhaps if they are toast you can run a helicoil..?

I'm going to have a professional try and chase the threads. I've been told there isn't enough room to use a helicoil.

Stripped bowl threads are a common Holley problem and that problem is accelerated by the use of the non Holley needle and seat assemblies. Your best bet might be to scrounge the swap meets for a nice older Holley and steal the bowl off it, or ask around here for a spare bowl. Same bowl as a common double pumper or dual feed vac secondary. You can buy a brand new bowl from Holley for like $40.00 but the logo is different. At least it will keep you moving until you find that cherry old replacement.

What threads??? LOL. I have heard rumor of an over sized needle and seat assembly mentioned but have yet to see one.

I took the carb to a engine/machine shop and he is modifying an older Holley bowl for $50.

Auto Transport Service
Back