• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbrator size help

KB9GIB

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
Hi just need some of your thoughts on carb size 69 b body 440 40 over factory heads comp 509/209 cam 323 gears Should I go Holley 770 or 870 I do appreciate your thoughts.Thanks KB9GIB

I have some thoughts but not an answer.

Given you have narrowed it to 770 or 870, it seems you are looking at the avenger series vacuum secondary. My experience with a 670 was that it cam jetted very lean, so you will want to pay attention to that. My car spit and backfired out the carburetor. I have used neither of the two you are considering so would wait to see what others say. My guess is that both may be comparable.

If it were me, I would consider something like a 750 double pumper (mechanical secondary) instead.

Hi just need some of your thoughts on carb size 69 b body 440 40 over factory heads comp 509/209 cam 323 gears Should I go Holley 770 or 870 I do appreciate your thoughts.Thanks KB9GIB
Since your only running a 3:23 gear your not going racing and if fuel mileage is of any concern at all both of these holleys are larger than you need--so go with the smaller unit--a much better carb for the street would be an Edelbrock 750 cfm as they are trouble free carbs once you set the mixture & idle speed--the holley will shine in a car set up to race as they're very fuelish but they're not the best on a street set up--you'll always be screwing around with keeping a holley adjusted. I own 3 Hemi B-body cars & 4 big wedge B-body cars right now & build 8 to 10 each year for other guys--Ive done a lot of experimenting & this was the result of 45 years of big block Mopar experience. also if you change those rear gears to a 3:55 you'll have a very quick & fast 69--all the best to you--Hemidon

you'll probably have a bigger issue with that .509 cam than any carb; especially with 3.23 gears. the cam may be a tuning headache for you if your not carb and ignition savvy.

Thanks on your input on the carb I haven't tried a Edelbrock but I will go that way and on the cam I think I'm going to change it out this winter I should have done more reading on cams before I installed it. I do thank you guys I will check back later this fall to see what you would recommend on cam shafts and will be pulling the stall converter also. Thanks KB9GIB

For what it's worth... I'd stick with a vacuum secondary carb on the street with an auto trans, especially with 3:23s. Good luck.

I'm not going to say one is better than the other, but, my edelbrock has been very reliable and was easy to tune. More of a "set it and forget it " carb.

I don't get where one says a Holley isn't the best for the street??? They're the most copied carb out there and do perfectly fine on the street. I've ran an 870 and a 750 back to back on mine and like the 750, you'll use all 4 barrels more often but idle and off idle performance is much cleaner making it a lot nicer around town. I like double pumpers but with those gears and an automatic you might be better off with the vacuum sec but like mentioned the Avengers seam to come very lean (if I remember correctly I went up 10 jet sizes). I prefer Holley's, Demons and Quick Fuels myself but that's just me. Good luck

750 double pumper. You didn't mention what torque converter you have , but that .509 really needs 3500 plus stall.

"PRND" has it right....Vacuum sec. on the street. Cam seems a little big w/o a higher stall converter though.

Auto Transport Service
Back