• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor question Stromberg 2 bbl

Jim 68cuda

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
The accelerator pump on the Stromberg 2bbl carb on my 66 poly 318 Sport Fury is sticking in the up position. I tried installing a new one (part of a rebuild kit from NAPA) but have the same trouble. A stronger spring likely won't make a difference as it seems to take some effort to push it down. A buddy had the exact same issue with a Stromberg 2 bbl carb that is now on my 67 318 Belvedere wagon. In his case he solved the problem by installing an old used accelerator pump. I don't have an old one to try, but its clear that the pump works properly on the Belvedere but not on the Fury.
Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a fix?

Is that the plunger type with the leather boot? If so did you oil it before installing it? Sometimes it's easy to have the edge of the plunger fold up, get wrinkled or caught on the slot on the pump well and then it's stuck. I'm guessing this is a WW carb, right?

Yes, WW type. Did not oil it first, but after finding it stuck, I took it apart and oiled it. It had not appeared to have folded up. Someone told me today to try loosening the screws on the top of the carb. He said there might be some play in the holes on the top of the carb that would allow it to be tightened down in such a way that it caused the rod on the pump to come up at a slight angle causing the boot to bind. That would be a simple fix so that will be my first attempt. I'll loosen the screws. Then I'll try moving the top around just a little and see if the pump drops on its own.

Auto Transport Service
Back