• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor wizard part 2

Here’s an update, I advanced the ignition a little, then I drove it to a friends place, 30 miles on the interstate, 80mph and 2500rpm or so. With the 68/52 rod, and 101 jet, with the orange springs. My AFR was all over the 13s and even kind of into the 14s and 15s.
This might be just fine depending on when it's doing each :thumbsup:

What driving condition is giving 13's, 14's, 15's. For instance, 15:1 on decel is no big deal
Ok that was my mistake for not being clear enough. That’s going down the Highway at a constant 80mph, 2500rpm, 10in of vacuum. Little bit of up hill, little bit of down, but pretty flat. And the afr is bouncing all over the place,

One of my favorite things about the car, 80mph is like cruise control, it’s super happy at that speed.

Ok that was my mistake for not being clear enough. That’s going down the Highway at a constant 80mph, 2500rpm, 10in of vacuum. Little bit of up hill, little bit of down, but pretty flat. And the afr is bouncing all over the place,

One of my favorite things about the car, 80mph is like cruise control, it’s super happy at that speed.
If it’s not surging I’d say it’s ok

Well, thank you everyone for helping, and educating me on my carburetor. However it seems I have an oil disappearing magic show, so all this might have been for nothing lol.

I know this isn’t the right place for this, but I figured I’d entertain curious minds. I took this car out Sunday, it was running great. Then on the way home I lost oil pressure half mile before the houses which I guess you can call that luck. I need to do some investigating, but so far, no trail on the road, no smoke out the pipes, no drips on my cardboard I put underneath, and no milkshakes in the radiator. Where’d it go? Hell if I know
:lol:

Well, thank you everyone for helping, and educating me on my carburetor. However it seems I have an oil disappearing magic show, so all this might have been for nothing lol.

I know this isn’t the right place for this, but I figured I’d entertain curious minds. I took this car out Sunday, it was running great. Then on the way home I lost oil pressure half mile before the houses which I guess you can call that luck. I need to do some investigating, but so far, no trail on the road, no smoke out the pipes, no drips on my cardboard I put underneath, and no milkshakes in the radiator. Where’d it go? Hell if I know
:lol:
Check oil, if big block pump it’s on the outside. Turn engine over while looking at rotor button to see if moving. If not check the shaft going down to pump, they will twist up and break or get short. Then check lifters to see if one bent the pushrod and kicked out. Even if all the bearing were wiped there would be some pressure so I’m guessing something broke or above

Check oil, if big block pump it’s on the outside. Turn engine over while looking at rotor button to see if moving. If not check the shaft going down to pump, they will twist up and break or get short. Then check lifters to see if one bent the pushrod and kicked out. Even if all the bearing were wiped there would be some pressure so I’m guessing something broke or above
Hopefully this doesn’t come off as rude, I may not know how to fine tuning, but I’m very knowledgeable on everything else, thank you. I haven’t had too much time too look lately, my dad had rotator cuff surgery, and I’m having to help with him. I change the oil to make sure it wasn’t milkshake, and looked under the car while it was running and didn’t see anything pouring out. I’ll look into when I get a chance, thank you!

A little background with the car, I bought it in 2017 as a roller. I wired it and did a mechanical restoration

4FAEC49F-D252-4584-B677-0315A6C0369C.jpeg

Hopefully this doesn’t come off as rude, I may not know how to fine tuning, but I’m very knowledgeable on everything else, thank you. I haven’t had too much time too look lately, my dad had rotator cuff surgery, and I’m having to help with him. I change the oil to make sure it wasn’t milkshake, and looked under the car while it was running and didn’t see anything pouring out. I’ll look into when I get a chance, thank you!

A little background with the car, I bought it in 2017 as a roller. I wired it and did a mechanical restoration

View attachment 1356740
Ceedawg is recommending that you check to see if the oil pump is doing anything, hopefully that is your problem.

Ceedawg is recommending that you check to see if the oil pump is doing anything, hopefully that is your problem.
Yes I understood what he was asking, thank you. I was trying to explain my mechanical knowledge, I probably didn’t do that right, I’m not always the best at that.

View attachment 1356740
Not knowing how much you know, just the basics to get the ball rolling. We cool. Let us know what you find.
I’m going in tomorrow for MRI on my shoulder.?! Take care of your dad, we only got one.

Not knowing how much you know, just the basics to get the ball rolling. We cool. Let us know what you find.
I’m going in tomorrow for MRI on my shoulder.?! Take care of your dad, we only got one.
I can build a manual and an automatic transmission on the tailgate of a pickup in the middle of the night, does that help you understand my skill set? :rofl:

Good luck with your mri. I’ll do anything for my dad, he was always there for me, he taught me everything to make me the man I am. I am lucky to have a father like, and I owe him so much.

I had the bypass spring stick on a 383 one time as I was pulling into the garage. Couldn’t believe my luck. Found the bore had a burr in it somehow.

A little late to the game on this thread, but I'm in a similar situation but I've got white plugs but a rich smell while cruising and at idle. I've got a new 1406 I just got my 1487 tune up kit and I just added almost the same motor minder under the dash, but I was also going to add an AFR gauge. Here is my question, I have stock exhaust, so no h-pipe and I have a 383 with an older Eddy DP4B so there is a slot between the intake sides -- do I need two AFR gauges for each bank? I'm getting 16 inches at idle so I was going to increase spring size for a start. But main question is -- only one bung or two? :) If two, I suppose I can find a dual gauge or swap sides. First time with tuning a carb -- I was always the suspension and paint guy. Thanks!!!

A little late to the game on this thread, but I'm in a similar situation but I've got white plugs but a rich smell while cruising and at idle. I've got a new 1406 I just got my 1487 tune up kit and I just added almost the same motor minder under the dash, but I was also going to add an AFR gauge. Here is my question, I have stock exhaust, so no h-pipe and I have a 383 with an older Eddy DP4B so there is a slot between the intake sides -- do I need two AFR gauges for each bank? I'm getting 16 inches at idle so I was going to increase spring size for a start. But main question is -- only one bung or two? :) If two, I suppose I can find a dual gauge or swap sides. First time with tuning a carb -- I was always the suspension and paint guy. Thanks!!!
Welcome to the **** show! :rofl:

I’m no expert, but in my opinion you should be fine with 1. Welding and paint are the only things I don’t do. I’ve done a lot of mechanical work, but I’ve never done any fine tuning, or real performance stuff.

I’m no expert, but in my opinion you should be fine with 1. Welding and paint are the only things I don’t do. I’ve done a lot of mechanical work, but I’ve never done any fine tuning, or real performance stuff.
Ditto! I think parts replacer is what I used to be referred to as when these were my point a to point b cars. In my older age I actually try to figure things out. Thanks!

You know I was wondering because there are two idle mixture screws for each side of the carb right? I guess (big guess) is that if I did not have the notch in the manifold would I need two afrs or does the mixture get passed around enough anyway it does not matter?

Forget about AFR meters for now. Do a test drive & see how it drives....

Forget about AFR meters for now. Do a test drive & see how it drives....
It actually drives great. Good power, no bog. Starts right up. But eye burning richness and seems to flutter a bit while coasting around 25-45. I adjusted idle screws, set timing, etc. After that I am a noob. I wonder if it's the 5 stock springs and I should try the 7 spring in the kit since I've got 16 vacuum.
But I'd also never changed the plugs since I got it two years ago. I've done a full resto of brakes, lines, every wiring harnesses on the car, front and rear suspension, springs and shocks, and new gears from dr diff. So I'm back to the richness even after I got it running with no knocks and fairly decent vacuum. It was rebuilt 10 years ago with a comp cams close to a 383 hp. The overlap doesn't seem too bad and it is not that lopey. The PO seemed to take it to service centers which is fine, but just wondering how the plugs could have a white cast when car smelled rich when I got it. I could just go the EFI route and HEI, etc., but I love the feel of a carb -- I am just really curious to see what the AFR is while driving and also use it to help debug the car. I've literally done everything else and the PO had most of the panels replaced and a pretty decent paint job. The carb tuning is just the final piece of the puzzle. But, I will have questions as I dig into this so stay tuned. :)

A little late to the game on this thread, but I'm in a similar situation but I've got white plugs but a rich smell while cruising and at idle. I've got a new 1406

It actually drives great. Good power, no bog. Starts right up. But eye burning richness and seems to flutter a bit while coasting around 25-45. I adjusted idle screws, set timing, etc.

A LEAN Mixture will burn your eyes

And you mentioned a flutter at cruise

Like a surge in and out

Lean

What metering rods and jets in your Edelbrock 1406 now

Auto Transport Service
Back