• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carmel Valley CA to Eastern Iowa, which route?

furious70

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
headed back last week of oct, should I go up through Salt Lake City, down thru Vegas and up to Denver, all the way down on I40 to ??

Will be in a rental 1/2 ton truck loaded full of parts. Not able to make a long vacation of it but interested in the nicest drive and anything directly on the route of interest to see. Looks like 3-4 routes within 30-33hrs total drive time.

The northern route looks faster/easier. the southern, more interesting. Late October you could be driving in snow in the Rockies. They keep I-70 pretty clear but it can be a real whore in a storm. The northern route may get windy. They made this really funny series of commercials.

Last edited:
Take a look at Carson Pass. HWY 88. I use it from the Bay Area to Carson City/Reno. Sweepers and not tedious. Is it a box truck? Should be ok in late October with exception. At least look at it. I avoid the LA experience. Maybe I’m just tired of it.

Take a look at Carson Pass. HWY 88. I use it from the Bay Area to Carson City/Reno. Sweepers and not tedious. Is it a box truck? Should be ok in late October with exception. At least look at it. I avoid the LA experience. Maybe I’m just tired of it.
Last time I took Carson was in the early-mid eighties, Back then there was 40 miles of gravel at the summit...

Correction, Carson is Awesome!! We have been over it many many times & as long as the snow doesn't come early it's a great choice...

I was thinking of Sonora Pass...

Ebbett's is another beautiful drive but I don't know that I'd want to haul a trailer over it....

I think I'd head over to 101 down to Paso Robles then take 46 to 99 the 58 over Tehachapi & out through Las Vegas & Phoenix...

Last edited:
If there's a route that takes you by Colorado Springs you can spend a free night here.

Based on the snow that came thru this week we went down to Las Vegas and then I-70 to Denver. We still got caught in rain from that system. Was quite the drive, I did not realize basically all of I-15 and I-70 is mountains!

PXL_20231026_215838287.jpg

PXL_20231026_204710249.jpg

PXL_20231026_180353296.jpg

And while in the Midwest it's all farmland, we don't grow 'food'. Amazing to see how much food is grown in parts of California

Auto Transport Service
Back