• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars for sale with NO price listed...

These experiences do stay stuck in the memory banks – the good and bad. Way back when I was hunting for a GTO vert, first set of my-own wheels at 17. Was fortunate I had use of my mother’s ’66 T-Bird most of the time as she had a work friend living nearby who preferred to drive. A big GM dealer in town (owner was an A+ a-hole my brother worked for – for a while) had one. ’67 for a firm $1495. After going to test drive it, stopped at our local Mac’s parking next to a gorgeous ’67 GTO vert I liked better than the one I was seriously pondering on. Struck up a chat with the guy telling him about it. Damn, more I gawked at it, more I loved it and had every option it could have! Just like that he says you want this one? Can have it for a grand. Oly chit, got his phone # and said I’ll be back to you this afternoon. Had to get my mother to co-sign and had it w/i 24 hours. I’ll skip the bad for another post, or three, lol.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Yeah? Well maybe I want to know just how sensible you might be and whether or not TALKING to you is worth my time.
What is the point of this crap?
I hate that as much as the "Make me an offer" ads. Old guy I knew used to reply "I can't buy it and sell it".

I made it a rule years ago not to call about any car ad that didn't have a price, as I'd always find it overpriced when I did. Now I'm not sure what I'd do, if I'm looking for a car and something that checks the boxes comes up but no price, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
I have a V code car I have tried to sell off and on for a while and my pet peeves came from the buyers end. Yes I list an ask. But the responses I have gotten have left me so jaded I have all but decided it's less aggravating to pay storage on a car I am not getting any use of, then dealing with people. Other than the scammers, the people who contact me almost without fail after first asking if it's still for sale, ask what the lowest price I'll take. The place to negotiate a price is in person after inspecting the car, in my mind.
So these inquiries go nowhere and I stew about it afterward.
Or the jerkwads who demand a bunch of pictures, then ghost me after I send them a bunch without so much as an acknowledgement that they received them?
How is it best to respond to that? Just say I've got a little room to move, but if you consider my ask unreasonable, then we are wasting each others time, good luck with your hunt!?
Tell them we can negotiate over phone/ email, but if you then come out to see it, the price we came up with is firm, so don't bother trying, or maybe you should wait until you inspect it to talk price?
Just ghost anyone whose second question is bottom dollar, because they irritate me?
Or should I just find a place with a bigger garage and never sell anything? I don't need the money and not being a "people person" accept the fact that I am not cut out for selling cars?
As for the picture collectors, I guess if I list the car again I will tell the ones asking for pictures to come on out and bring your camera, then you can take all the damn pictures you want....
When a potential buyer asks “ What’s the lowest price you’ll take?” I reply “What’s the most you’ll pay?”

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Yeah? Well maybe I want to know just how sensible you might be and whether or not TALKING to you is worth my time.
What is the point of this crap?
It’s because they are embarrassed to say how much publicly.

My other fave is WTB ads for something that’s relatively easy to find. The translation is:” I know what a fair price is but I want someone to sell it to me for 1/4 of that” I quit responding to those a long time ago.

When a potential buyer asks “ What’s the lowest price you’ll take?” I reply “What’s the most you’ll pay?”
Posted before on some comical encounters on this topic. At a show a guy asked “Would you want to sell it?” It was in the show, not the corral. Replied everything is for sale at the right price. Figured that would be the end of the chat. He asked, well what would you take for it? I said, it’s not up for sale, but feel free to toss me what you would pay for it. He persisted saying tell me what you want for it. Lol, reminded him I don’t have it for sale, that could change, but not now, thanks. He wouldn’t let go, saying come on, you certainly must have a price in mind. Geezuz.

Another guy was more direct, hey I’d give you 10-grand for your car right now. I replied well, let’s see I have around 35-grand in it. That chat ended immediately.

Another guy was more direct, hey I’d give you 10-grand for your car right now. I replied well, let’s see I have around 35-grand in it. That chat ended immediately.
My reply to those kinds were 'try again only a LOT harder' and they usually walked away. The ones that didn't walk away but offered 10% more got to see my back side because I walked away.

Phishing expeditions, no price listed...

Or they're the types your old part is junk, not worth anything
(& you should have to pay the shipping)
but;
if they are selling some rusted POS, worn-out taken-off old part
"it's pure gold & it's rare, I know what I have,
don't lowball me, or just make an offer"
:blah:

Posted before on some comical encounters on this topic. At a show a guy asked “Would you want to sell it?” It was in the show, not the corral. Replied everything is for sale at the right price. Figured that would be the end of the chat. He asked, well what would you take for it? I said, it’s not up for sale, but feel free to toss me what you would pay for it. He persisted saying tell me what you want for it. Lol, reminded him I don’t have it for sale, that could change, but not now, thanks. He wouldn’t let go, saying come on, you certainly must have a price in mind. Geezuz.

Could have said "I'll hold on to that while you go home and get the rest."

Just fishing. That is all it is. The one line that I have always said is, "I can't be the buyer and seller both". I still say it is just wishful thinking on the seller's part. "Let's see if someone is dumb enough to pay me 2x's the market price". I don't think I have ever replied to a no price listed ad.

I went through this last summer when I took the Demonstrator to Carlisle. Fellow FBBO member Hacksaw came to my rescue. Looked the guy in the eye, and said, "he'll take $285,000 today." Pricing was based on the fact RC's former Hemi Charger was parked behind us, with that number on the windshield. Guy came back with, "I've got half that stowed in my plane, do you have the title?" Called my wife, she said don't sell it. I wouldn't have believed it if it was someone else's story.

It’s said everything has a price but I question that notion. Finding a good car is difficult, at least it’s always been difficult for me. 2 of my collection are keepers, my Challenger convertible and my T/A I’ve had since high school. I take the vert out all the time but hardly ever get questioned about selling it. Best I can figure is it’s because it’s burnt orange and flat hood, so doesn’t have the “wow” factor that draws wannabee owners.
After completing a OE resto on the T/A, it rarely gets out. And when it has I’m usually elsewhere at the event. But I have had a few well heeled types tell me “let me know if you ever want to sell it.
Owning brownish hued Mopars is a good way to keep from being pestered by people insisting on you naming a price to sell in my experience.

See, even that annoys me.
No, in my opinion, NOT everything is for sale, no matter the price.
I'm not rich but I have no interest in selling the cars that I want to keep, no matter the price. Some idiot could offer me 3 times the actual value of my red car and I'd turn him down because it is mine and I want to keep it.
Too many people have the belief that money always wins. It doesn't.
Even this turd...

IMG_4862.JPG

Has EXPLODED in "value" but I have zero interest in selling it.

One of the best sales ads ever: A friend called me and told me he had just driven by a '66 or '67 Charger that had just been placed in a front yard with a sign in the windshield that said, "FOR SALE, HEMI." I told him to stop and look. A few minutes later he called back laughing. When he got closer, the sign actually said, "FOR SALE, not a HEMI." Now that guy knew how to get folks to look at his car.
Reminds me of the time I was driving along and saw a sign on the roadside saying FREE EGGS. I stopped in and asked for some free eggs. The lady looked at me and laughed saying they don't give away eggs for free. I told her that's what the sign said. She told me to go back and read it again. Yup. 'FREErange EGGS'. Bit misleading.

In the mid 90s I looked at least 3 years before finding my Challenger convertible. I bought my T/A at 16 with money I’d earned and saved up doing odd jobs for 3 years, and years later did an OE restoration that ended up taking over 15 years including many with the car 175 miles away in resto shop jail. I kept my eyes and feelers out a couple years for a Cordoba or Magnum T top before finding one. I’ve been in the market for a coronet R/T vert for a couple years and am not optimistic I’ll ever find the right car.
So why should a car that you are passionate about and invested heart and soul into have a price? Is it assumed that everyone is so obsessed with money that if one waves a stack of money in their face they will drool like a Pavlov dog and happily sell?

I’ve intimated on here many times how my X was my first ever car, purchased just after my 18th BD and kept it for 48 yrs until I recently felt it was time for many reasons not really to sell it but more to pass it on. So my close buddy up in Mpls now owns and cherishes the car likely til death do them part - then his son will take over. That’s what I wanted. Well over those 48 yrs I lived in a myriad of states, cities etc. Well at least every year (until she passed) my mom would get a call at the old home stead for someone that either knew me or certainly knew and remembered the car from back when. The call was always - do I still own it - and would I sell it? My mom never knew what to say so she’d just pass along my current phone #. I‘ve got to tell you a lot of these guys would have paid almost anything for that GTX to own it. Many of them were just kids back in the day and remembered the car from one thing or another. Sometimes it would be they always walked by it where I parked it during my softball games - always in the same place. Or cruising thru the Village and a whole host of places where they’d seen it back when. The car was very well known up there and so many never forgot it even after I’d left. Some because of our exceptionally large family and everyone knowing us. The conversation was always the same - a really nice chat but in the end “no it’s not for sale”. Them leaving me their # and pleading with me to call when and if it ever was. I don’t know why but I was kind of surprised at that and a little flattered. Like I said some of these guys were knee high to me back when but always remembered the X and so many stories of it. Yeah sometimes I miss it but really no regrets - wish I had a shop like some of you and I’d for sure still own it ……

Allow me some slack, as I mentioned everything’s for sale at the right price. It’s a sincere perspective I have and hasn’t anything to do with needing the cash. Worldly possessions I have don’t hold the same urgency for me to keep them as they once did being a geezer now. Granted, my car is special to me getting it in 1994 and having taken it apart to a bare shell, spent countless hours collecting parts, fixing what could be salvaged, paying more and less than expected for parts, rebuilding it. I’d bet anyone having done this obtains the same deep-affection for their ride after doing this, like it becomes a part of their soul. Still, some sell them for one reason or another viewing some gorgeous restorations on the forum members have let go. And not unusual to hear of some regrets, I have a couple as well.

Honestly, if someone offered me a price above the value of my car, pretty sure I’d let it go. I’d likely use it as an opportunity to get something else as a change up after three-plus decades being still able. I’ve had my time building vehicles; anything major I won’t do anymore. Could I? Think so, pretty well-equipped for it, just too much other chit I want to do non-car related bugging me to work on in my retirement before it’s too late.

Nope no BS, can’t think of anything I have now I wouldn’t sell if the price was right. Hell, been spending too much time getting rid of stuff to the scrap yard (I once thought I could use) to Goodwill, to the Restore.

Ya have possessions you’d never sell, certainly understand as I thought like this too. Just that I don’t anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back