• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars of any brand that you like the body style but don't like for other reasons....

I will never forget the night in 1986 when Bob Miller invited me to his mom's place for dinner, and asked me how Baby Blue was running, three years after I'd purchased the car from him. When I answered, "Great!" he returned with a shoe box. It was filled to the top with time cards from his years of running the car down the quarter mile at Capitol Raceway in Maryland. The only engine work that car had during that time was valve seals changed at 80,000. Great testimony to the strength of a stock 440. That engine still runs great with 120,000 miles.
Never had a 'daily driver' Dodge product that went 28 years of hard service as my 'beater' 95 Dakota. Usually never kept a daily that long but man, this thing is like a Dodge Dart. Hard to kill and keeps on ticking. Have to admit that it does need at least new plugs and stuff like VC gaskets and the like but geez.....who would have thunk it!? I've had several Dakota pickups and none have been bad but the only thing that's been a hassle on the 95 is the wiper linkage. It's been a royal pain for years lol

There are some Mopars that I love looking at, but have no interest in owning them. 1st generation Chargers are one of those, as are 67 to 69 Barracudas. I like the look of 70 Torinos too,but have zero interest in owning one.

There are some Mopars that I love looking at, but have no interest in owning them. 1st generation Chargers are one of those, as are 67 to 69 Barracudas. I like the look of 70 Torinos too,but have zero interest in owning one.
I liked the 67-69 Fastback Barracuda but not so much the coupes.....and thought the 1st gen Chargers looked too much like the Marlins but like the Chargers better these days.

I never cared much for third generation Chargers, but they have grown on me, I own eight of them right now,and just sold the ninth one last weekend.

like the 68-74 nova but WAY too many "dog track"
Catching this old post, you reminded me of when I'd look at some Nova's back when, my dad had a '71 350 for a while. Had impressive giddy-up. Could swear they looked to be dogging on the road and dad's seemed 'off' when I drove it. Don't recall noticing this with other rides..

Catching this old post, you reminded me of when I'd look at some Nova's back when, my dad had a '71 350 for a while. Had impressive giddy-up. Could swear they looked to be dogging on the road and dad's seemed 'off' when I drove it. Don't recall noticing this with other rides..
Hey any post that's less than a year old really ain't old lol

I dig the old Mercedes roadsters, and the gull wing; but they cost too much :rolleyes:

you can add certain Ferrari's to that list

1695917205527.png

1695917392155.png

Last edited:
I think the Tesla truck is freakishly futuristic looking. If somebody around here blows the batteries out of one maybe I'll pick it up cheap and put a 440 in it... with glass packs, of course. I'll never wash it and drive around dressed up like a post-apocalyptic bounty hunter. Oh, ya.

I have always like the second generation Camaro. And the Muncie 4 speed.
But I’m not a GM fan, so that’s a tough one

Dodge Stealth, Mitsu 3000GT VR4. Twin Turbos
Except the 6 speed manual blows up and trying to fix anything under the hood is a 2 week project.

Dodge Conquest from the 80's. Too many gremlins and the engine is not tunable to 90's Japan car standards. They are the definition of 80's car body style. Well maybe second place to the Countach or Testa Rosa.

Viper. I won't fit. Shame that.

Bullet bird Tbirds. One of few Fords that the go pedal exceeds well beyond what the rest of the car was designed to handle.

Most trucks from the 50's and 60's. Love the body styles, know full well mechanically they are going to drive like a tractor and ride like a hay wagon. I see people taking the body and putting it on newer chassis. This is one instance where I understand and fully agree with that. 1960's crew cab Dodge trucks getting dropped onto early 90's Cummins powered chassis to me is a perfect blend.

68-72 Buick GS .
I like everything about them , Would love to own a Yelloa 1970 GSX someday

1970 Cougar, but has to be an eliminator, same deal would love to own a Grabber Blue version

1969 Camaro, but has to be a RS

To 66BabyBlue. I had a maroon '66 convertible Vette like that. Mine had a black top but I used the hard top mostly. I didn't really like it. I told people it was like dating a supermodel. You couldn't walk away from it without it being swarmed by guys. No fun when you can't even take it to the grocery store.

Eldubb, I like the Merc but that model is a little funky even for the 50's.

My son wants a 67 to 69 notchback, not the fastback. Does anybody know of a cheap one? I agree with him.

To GTX6970: I was reading the auction section of the latest Muscle Machines. Someone scored a 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 at auction for $50K. The average price was $150K.

Cranky: I had a 66 Mustang 2+2 fastback. I tore the crap out of it in high school 1973-75. I'd sure like to have one now. Mine was a 289 AT. I want the 4-speed this time.

Last edited:
I have always like the second generation Camaro. And the Muncie 4 speed.
But I’m not a GM fan, so that’s a tough one
From 1984 to 2002, I owned several 71-81 Camaros and Firebirds. They were great cars. All had front disc brakes and were good handling cars. The back seats are tight if you're over 5'8" and 180 lbs.
I like the Ford Torinos from the late 60s, early 70s but the Ford front suspensions are an exercise in stupid engineering. They put the coil springs above the upper control arm which moved weight up higher and it crowded the engine bay. You think WE have a tough time with spark plug access with headers??? The Ford guys have it worse. Just look at the engine bay with those stupid spring towers....

1696109749092.png

Last edited:
I owned a 71 gt shaker hood car.

It was NOT fun to work on.

I had always wanted a Corvette. A buddy had a nice '95 C4 on his lot. Solid black with the stock wheels on it. Traded an '04 F250 short-bed for the Corvette. Fell in love with this hi-mileage (150K) gem! After sinking about $3K in various things on it, I loved driving it. Loved it! Plus, it seemed everyone one wanted to race me on the highway. It's 300 hp and bone stock, even the exhaust; and I just wanted to drive the thing. This was about the time I developed balance issues, too, so getting in it wasn't the problem. Getting out was huge! This was a rare car, in that it was 100% unmodified, ran beautifully, and nothing was broken on it...after I spent a few bucks on her. Owned it for two years. One Saturday, I decided to get a different car. I ended up trading this on a '14 VW Passat TDI, which I love, and just passed the four year point of ownership on.

The 'Vette was not a bad car at all. But at 161K miles at this point, my little fling with this American cutie was over. My affair with the German beauty is still going strong after 45K miles, and having replaced only a battery and a set of tires on the Passat, I'm not complaining about her at all. Plus, 45-48 mpg on the freeway is a wonderful thing!

VW and Vette.jpg

corvette aficionado's call that "fall in-climb out"- specifically for the c4.

I test drove several and would have probably bought a '93 LT-1 manual trans car if my head hadn't hit the cross bar when I punched it.

They are night and day better handling than a c3.

I liked the looks & handling of the 78-79 z28, even into 80-81
but the engines were smog ladden-anemic 180hp
IMO a good looking Brand X car & a few mods cured that lack of power
I even had the uglier 76 Ralley Sport black & white L82 4 speed
with the fugly *** square alum bumpers (no z28 in 76)
too much plastic in the interior

I know a lot hated the Vega's
I liked the smaller chrome bumper 71-73 early versions, hatchbacks
I had several as v8 Vegas & a couple as racecars too
freaken' rattle traps, but light & fun with a v8

the 74-84-ish PowerWagons W100s-W-150s
except for them anemic std 318 or 360 engines smog ladden turds
I loved the BB 400 or 440 versions

68-71 D-100 in short beds, great lines great engines
horrible front suspension, needed to go to IFS sooner
the W-100 PowerWagon was no problem, with BBs

70-73 Trans Ams attractive styling,
I liked them way better than the Camaros
400 Ram Air II, III or IV was a beast,
SD 455 was too
great handling cars, great drivers, good trim levels
Only thing I hated was the GM Astro ventilation
1 piece side windows, w/no wing windows

I really liked most of the 65-71 Buick GS & the GSX
also the 63-65 Riviera GS love the looks of the 65 esp.
Buick, they had the grampa's car reputation,
some were outright performance cars, horrid oiling system
prone to spin bearings, but a few upgrades solved that issue...
parts availability & now cost was really the only negative...

Loved the looks of 67-69 A-bodys
67-69 Dart or GTS 383
or 67-69 383cid Fastback Barracuda/'cuda specifically or Formula S 4 speed
but the lack of any sizable tire clearance in the rear, sucked

68 RR, especially the RM23 HTs, great lines
I outright love the appearance & power, even in a lowly 383cid
but you couldn't get bucket seats,
or a 440 as an option... I always thought that was lame

68-73 MGB, MGB-GT nice looking cars
especially before the horrid impact bumpers after 1974
the engines were anemic too, decent power for a light car,
they needed more thou