• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars that would have been cool, EXCEPT...

...Just MO, but a bunch of cars after early 70’s got uglier, some to do with the big bumpers and boxier body lines. The ’70 RR was supreme to me; too bad it was only one year. A ’70 Challenger compared with a ’73? No knock on the ’73, they’re cool, had one after a ’70 Cuda. Just that I liked the 70’s as my 1st choice. A ’69 Nova or GTO vs a ’74? ’70 Torino or ’75?
Couldn't agree more. The more it seemed the safety folks got involved they really seemed to rob the era of some of the appearance character that initially defined it...

Add to the list of vehicles with unattractive curved glass in the rear, the Mercury Capri...

1688057707780.png

Amc hornet was pretty rough imo. The Aztec is similar in shape to some new BMW I’ve seen....wtf are they thinking?

The Pontiac Fiero had a chance but like all 80s crap no horse power.
p1010003.jpg

We can find small "nits" on almost any car, but there are lots that are really well done. It's hard to argue with the design of a 68 Charger or a 63 split window Corvette. Likewise, there are cars that are just plain ugly. Remember the AMC Pacer and the Pontiac Aztek?

But then there are some cars that might have been a really cool car except for one or two major issues.

For example, many seem to agree that the Chrysler Crossfire would have been cool except for the rear end treatment.
View attachment 1486530

Likewise, the DeLorean could have been cool except for its pathetic engine/power.
View attachment 1486531

What cars, in your opinion, do you think would have been really cool except...???

Post 'em up!
The Crossfire looks like a loaf of bread with a ton of extra dough at the back end, so the Baker just rolls it up and tucks it under the bottom to hide it.

For my contribution - the Nissan Juke....even Jeremy Clarkson said it was an abomination all round...

1688062626653.png

and for slightly older cars.... Renault Dauphine.... (I had a 63 model many years ago)

1688062766385.png

The Crossfire looks like a loaf of bread with a ton of extra dough at the back end, so the Baker just rolls it up and tucks it under the bottom to hide it.

For my contribution - the Nissan Juke....even Jeremy Clarkson said it was an abomination all round...

View attachment 1486650

and for slightly older cars.... Renault Dauphine.... (I had a 63 model many years ago)

View attachment 1486654
OK, so I'm confused on these two.

So the key here are cars that could have been cool except for one or two elements. No offense, as everyone has an opinion as to what they like, but I agree with Clarkson. The Nissan Juke is a Joke. In my mind, it's not cool except for ______ . It is just plain ugly to the bone!

In my mind, it's not cool except for ______ . It is just plain ugly to the bone!
Sorry....it has too many uncool features. But they are reliable and cheap to run apparently.

The Dauphine is a very popular car (in France) but has a quirky look about it.

Cool but for one feature.....any 70's Corvette with hidden bumpers. They just made the car look fugly.

juke- looks like a design student threw up on kermit the frog.

IMO the Avanti got that small styling issue resolved when it was reborn in the 80's with square headlights.

GLH-S Omni turbo

(not the Chargers they looked OK), but FWD is the killer for me
83 Charger Advert. #2.jpg

now as a PS, not too shabby

83 Charger P-S Sox & Martin.JPG

Rampage was sort of cool looking
again FWD, killed it for me, if they made it in a RWD I'd have owned one

84 Rampage Advert. #1a.jpg

GLH other than the drivetrain, has no redeeming looks or quality
the badging & graphics help some, looks wise...
I know some people love them... Some people like fat chicks too :poke:
I'm not one of them, cool niche' car, but too many doors, too fugly & FWD
kills it for me

(it's just a Chevette on steroids)

but they were fugly *** cars, a box with a nose & 4 wheels & 4 doors
with good drivetrain

86 Shelby Omni GLH-S Advert. #2 Track.jpg

never been a big fan of FWD cars, even them

I kind of liked the Mirada, has a Buick GNX look sort of
I liked the grill, don't like the white wall tires at all
it's not a luxury car
but extremely weak anemic drivetrains & velour interior sucked ***
for the era it wasn't a bad looking car,
even with all the sharp edges everywhere
80 Mirada Advert. #1.jpg

with some nice tires & wheels & a 440 under the hood not too bad
still way to early 80's look
80 Mirada 440 wedge.jpg

or as a NASCAR it looked good too
80 Mirada Nascar #8.jpg

or S/S
80 Mirada SS.jpg

did you know they had a Turbine concept, still sort of fugly
my todays stds, but 1980 it was not as bad as many/most all were
never liked the skinny white walls either
80 Mirada Turbine concept car last Turbine concept.jpg

As the Dusters and Darts went out of production, we were left with Aspens/Volares, Magnums and Cordobas.
I actually like the performance spirited Aspen/Volare styling but the pathetic HP numbers of the cars killed any chance for me to own one. I've been stuck dealing with CA emission limits so the 1976 and later model cars had to remain emission compliant.
I could get an Aspen to handle well with Firm Feel parts but 150 HP for a 3500 lb car is pathetic.

Always liked the 1981-1983 Chrysler Imperial, but what kept me from buying one:

1) no performance (drivetrain or suspension). Transverse torsion bar front suspension is weird IMO.

2) not a sporty interior and the instrument panel is horrid.

3) rear styling was a bit unusual, but I would have turned a blind eye towards it if it weren't for 1) & 2) above.

THE GOOD
image.jpg

THE BAD
image (1).jpg

THE UGLY
the-future-of-motoring-greeted-imperial-owners-in-the-form-of-digital-displays-customizable-vi...jpg

Glad I kept my '79 Chrysler 300 which I bought new in 1980 after I couldn't find a Magnum GT.

All that being said, wouldn't it be great to find one of these Imperials and turn it into a holy terror? Maybe get a Frank Sinatra Edition and do it my way. :eek:

I had an '80 Cordoba for a while, liked the body style, but my goof was getting the six. Oly chit what a dog it was. Funny thing is when my dad went along with me to look at it, he spotted a well-optioned '80 Diplomat 2-door he ended up buying. Had the 318, world of difference at least from the six. Was a reliable car he drove for several years...unlike the dob I got I kept for about 6 months.

Auto Transport Service
Back