• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CARTER AFB L8 3447SA

captain clank

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Newbie needing help please. I bought a 1964 Dodge 330 426 Street Wedge from an Estate sale so I have no history of the car basically. The car currently has 2 Edelbrock 1404 on a crossram intake.

2 Carter AFB L8 3447SA came with the car deal. I have no idea if they need to be rebuilt or just tuned correctly. It appears they were on the car but were changed out to the Edelbrocks.

Can someone tell me what they and if they are worth anything? My research indicated they may be or a Max Wedge or Maximum Performance 426?

Thank you for your help!

CARTER AFB 1.jpg

CARTER AFB 2.jpg

CARTER AFB 3.jpg

CARTER AFB 4.jpg

engine.JPG

1964 LEFT SIDE.jpg

Newbie needing help please. I bought a 1964 Dodge 330 426 Street Wedge from an Estate sale so I have no history of the car basically. The car currently has 2 Edelbrock 1404 on a crossram intake.

2 Carter AFB L8 3447SA came with the car deal. I have no idea if they need to be rebuilt or just tuned correctly. It appears they were on the car but were changed out to the Edelbrocks.

Can someone tell me what they and if they are worth anything? My research indicated they may be or a Max Wedge or Maximum Performance 426?

Thank you for your help!

View attachment 1550476

View attachment 1550478

View attachment 1550479

View attachment 1550480

View attachment 1550481

View attachment 1550482
Great looking vehicle.....is it an origional Max Wedge or a clone? A 426 Stage II or a 440 built to look origional...except for the distributor. If origional, the Carter carbs are correct and quite rare.....although the carbs are missing some linkage for the fast idle cams and fuel inlet connections. Mopar used hard lines....what is shown appear to be for hose connections.....especially the fuel line crossing over the right side headder from the fender mounted pressure regulator.
Origional Max Wedges the hard line came from the engine mounted fuel pump. Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Not sure what the L8 is for. My 3447's are with the car in storage so can't look at mine. 63 Ply and Dodge Max Wedge's used the 3447. I know the 1404's have the large opening tops like the 3705's on the 64's. Some are putting the tops from 1404's on the 3447's to get more air flow. The 3447's are worth a little money in good shape as they are a little hard to find. The 3447's have the small primary as does the 1404's. #3705's have the same size primary and secondary. Nice find. The fitting for the hard line is another tough thing to find now too, although I am sure can be found.

Great looking vehicle.....is it an origional Max Wedge or a clone? A 426 Stage II or a 440 built to look origional...except for the distributor. If origional, the Carter carbs are correct and quite rare.....although the carbs are missing some linkage for the fast idle cams and fuel inlet connections. Mopar used hard lines....what is shown appear to be for hose connections.....especially the fuel line crossing over the right side headder from the fender mounted pressure regulator.
Origional Max Wedges the hard line came from the engine mounted fuel pump. Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON
Thank you! Not original but a tribute. I was told (but not confirmed yet) a 426 Street Wedge Stage II.

The line going over the manifold would worry me.
It appears to be sagging already.

Here's how my Edelbrocks are plumbed.
Away from the headers

100_0239.JPG

I think the 3447 are worth a whole lot of money if someone
needs them for their 62/63 Max Wedge!

The line going over the manifold would worry me.
It appears to be sagging already.
The fuel line has been re-routed since this picture was taken, for exactly the reason you pointed out. As a Retired Fire Captain, I am all about safety. Thank you for taking the time to point it out!

L8 is the date code, so they are over the counter replacements from 1968. They will not be as valuable as date code correct cars.

They are still pretty valuables as they are visually correct even if
not correct time coding.

IMO

Auto Transport Service
Back