• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retiring The Six Pack - New Manifold Recommendations

mslisaj

Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
After over 45 years of having a fully operational Six Pack on my 65 Satellite with a 426 Wedge I want to simplify my life and put a single four barrel on it. I don't race the car anymore and it's just an old street show car with lot's of fun parts to cruise to a show. But I'm looking at the Edelbrock Mopar Performance P5153525 manifold with a Carter/Edelbrock AVS on top. Edelbrock also makes a Performer RPM that looks interesting too. What pulls me to the Mopar Performance is the advertised power curve is idle to 6000 and the Performer RPM is 1500 - 6500. I've never turned the engine higher then 6000 even with the Milodon Oiling System.

I'd love to have some recommendatons or stories of your experiences with these's manifolds.

Thanks for your help.

Engine Data:
426 Wedge
Purple shaft
Headers
2000 converter
355 gears

Yup, agree with above on CH4B. That said, for shinny new manifolds that you can currently buy, I got an Edel RPM this year to replace the old Torker I had on there with similar set up. If you have the hood clearance, a cut out and scoop, that RPM works great.

I have a factory version of the CH4B but I want something upgraded and new. I have the hood clearance and I'm leaning toward the Mopar Performance version of the Performer as the power curve is advertised to be idle to 6000 and that's where this engine will spend the rest of it's life with this old lady. Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been running an Edelbrock Performer RPM with an Edelbrock 800 cfm Thunder series carburetor since 2009 on my stroked B engine, I’m pretty happy with it. Low maintenance. A drop base air cleaner fits under the hood and a taller throttle cable bracket is required. Kickdown linkage would need to be modified. A CH4B or Performer wouldn’t need these modifications, I don’t think.

Both intakes would work well. Final decision should be based on desired power range:

-more low to mid, use the Mopar
-higher rpms, use the RPM.

The 800 AVS would be an EXCELLENT choice.

Both intakes would work well. Final decision should be based on desired power range:

-more low to mid, use the Mopar
-higher rpms, use the RPM.

The 800 AVS would be an EXCELLENT choice.
Thank you for your response. That is truly the direction I'm leaning towards. Off idle response to 4000 on the street is where I'm going. The days of the 1320 are gone for ever for me. ;-)
The Mopar Performance Manifold seems to be the best choice.

Isnt those Intakes (Mopar, Eddy rpm) exactly the same? They look identical.

If you want off idle response the Eddy performer (Not RPM) is awesome, paired together with a Eddy AVS2 650 with its smaller primaries really got the car going from a stand still.
For better hot starts I would put on the Holley Street Demon 625 which has even smaller primaries than the Eddy AVS2.

(I just finished a carburetor-trip testing over 10 aftermarket carbs and some intakes (CH4B etc.) )

From my rearch the Performer RPM has a power band of 1500 to 6500. While the Mopar Performance P5153525 is advertised to have a curve of idle to 6000. While they look the same there must be some difference.

From my rearch the Performer RPM has a power band of 1500 to 6500. While the Mopar Performance P5153525 is advertised to have a curve of idle to 6000. While they look the same there must be some difference.
The Mopar looks like an exact copy of the RPM.
Would be nice if someone had made some tests.

Take power-band ratings with many large grains of salt.....

Camshaft has 10 times more influence on power band than an intake .

Great point. I have the Mopar "purple shaft" in the engine. The factory cam so I'm thinking the factory manifold now would probably be a good fit.
A little side story, as I was growing up and grudge racing this car on the weekends It's had lots of parts put in it from solid lifter cams, a tunnel ram with two 660 holly carbs to 4.88 gears and a monster converter. But as the car is today with a mild cam, 2k converter, six pack it feels faster and simpler then it every was with all the parts I threw at the car over the years. (had a lot of fun with it though) I'm 70 years old and like to just drive the car and hold it in first gear and roll into the throttle and feel it head for the sky as I shift into second and get a chirp out of the tires it takes me back. I love the car and through the grace of God I never wrecked it. But today I want to make it a little easier to enjoy with a simple single four and an electric choke. But I want it to look really good when I open the hood too. You can feel the nostalgia I have for the car and it's just fun to make real horse power moving lots of air with big pistons and no electronic magic going on. I think you guys get it. It's like when I had the original Cragar S/S wheels rechromed, I caught some flack for that expense but the wheels look awesome today.

Anyway I appreciate the comments and suggestions from you guys.

Lisa

Thank you for your response. That is truly the direction I'm leaning towards. Off idle response to 4000 on the street is where I'm going. The days of the 1320 are gone for ever for me. ;-)
The Mopar Performance Manifold seems to be the best choice.
On my 440 4 speed car I used a Edelbrock performer intake 2191 with a ThermoQuad carb the range is idle to 5000 it made a ridiculous amount of torque. I never tried the RPM intake.

On my 440 4 speed car I used a Edelbrock performer intake 2191 with a ThermoQuad carb the range is idle to 5000 it made a ridiculous amount of torque. I never tried the RPM intake.
Thats what I am running also. Crazy bottom response, mid and top.
The Street Demon came in second place, though a simpler carb to work with than the complex (But awesome) TQ.

IMG_20230821_194229.jpg

You can save a few bucks by painting your stock cast iron intake silver instead of springing for the Edelbrock Performer intake though. Honestly he has probably the best dual plane intake in that CH4B, I would clean it up and throw an 800 AVS on it if it were mine. If you just have to buy something, find a Holley Street Dominator. You'll be fighting the hood with a Performer RPM.

Holley changed the inside of a Demon carb that could be why it came in second.
It came second in my test cos it is squarebore. The primaries behaved almost the same as a TQ but the TQ spreadbore huge secondaries dominated Wot-driving.

Where can we find the results od this test ?

Auto Transport Service
Back