• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CARTER AFB REBUILD

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
Who's the go to shop for rebuilding my 3447 AFB? Leaking out of the shaft

Had Woodruff Carb do 3 Holley base plates.:thumbsup: A FBBO sponsor I believe.

Who's the go to shop for rebuilding my 3447 AFB? Leaking out of the shaft
The Carter 3447S was OEM on a '62 413 Stage II max wedge, both auto trans and 4 speed, and has the small primary throttle bores. There is a certain amount of clearance between the shaft and the body. This was b4 the Teflon coating of the shafts. Are you sure you need the housing machined and bushed to accomodate shaft leakage or are the float levels and needle valves worn out causing fuel leakage and dripping, with excess seeping out around the shafts? Just asking......
BOB RENTON

The Carter 3447S was OEM on a '62 413 Stage II max wedge, both auto trans and 4 speed, and has the small primary throttle bores. There is a certain amount of clearance between the shaft and the body. This was b4 the Teflon coating of the shafts. Are you sure you need the housing machined and bushed to accomodate shaft leakage or are the float levels and needle valves worn out causing fuel leakage and dripping, with excess seeping out around the shafts? Just asking......
BOB RENTON
That may be a possibility. The car was down for a few weeks due to installing new radiator, changing oil etc. So I started it a couple days ago and noticed I was smoking some. Unusual never smoked before. Thinking maybe I just need to drive it a bit. After seeing the dripping from the shaft today I saw some posts about floats too high and dripping excessive fuel. Looking at the carb that dripped it is very wet up on top, on top of the air horns and black crud, the whole upper carb was wet. Looked at the other carb and it's not nearly as dirty as this one. So maybe a basic rebuild might help

Where's a good place to buy rebuild kits for AFB 3447?

On line. Sounds like it is flooding, so get a kit with new needles & seats.

I just had an AFB rebuilt by Woodruff’s. $225 with a discount for FBBO members. Haven’t run the carb yet but they have good reviews here.

I just had an AFB rebuilt by Woodruff’s. $225 with a discount for FBBO members. Haven’t run the carb yet but they have good reviews here.
$225 sounds good for a rebuild but i doubt that would include rebushing the shafts if needed

First was $40 second 2 were $55 or $60 each with return shipping in the price. I'm a little pesty only one phone call to see when ready at 5 days in. Shipped one before I called other 2 days later. Good turn around rime.

Next two days after the leaking stopped. Maybe got some junk in the needle/seat causing minor flooding. I figure one of two things happened, either dirt in needle or maybe float level is high and with enough heat in engine the level rose and flooded. I have had that happen with AFB's before when running the float level very high. I'll try to get them rebuilt as a precautionary measure.

I understood it to include bushing the shafts.
Call/txt/email the person you are considering doing the work.....get an inclusive, written SCOPE OF WORK to be performed along with a firm PRICE and a written warranty. If you have any questions ASK....if you don't understand....ask again....if you do not receive an answer to your satisfaction.....take your business elsewhere......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back