• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter AVS question?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
I’m rebuilding an old Carter AVS I’ve had laying around for a couple decades. I tore it down this morning and I’m wondering if something is missing back by the air valve - maybe a hot idle compensator?

IMG_1086.jpeg
IMG_1087.jpeg

The two small holes are threaded but maybe they didn’t use the compensator on this model - anyone know? The number is L 9493 S which is for a 340 from about 1970.

thanks

Yes, it is for a HIC. Effectively a vacuum leak. You can make a plate to block it off and all will be fine.

Not all'of them had one installed so they look like that.

Does the center hole bottom out of go somewhere? Are the 2 side screw holes threaded?

4934 1970 340 auto.
The hot idle compensator was used on a/c applications.

The two small holes are threaded. I haven’t explored the main passage. I guess if it’s blind the it didn’t receive a compensator.

The two small holes are threaded. I haven’t explored the main passage. I guess if it’s blind the it didn’t receive a compensator.
Most of the castings have PROVISIONS for the Hot Idle Compensator valve. The body casting would be machined to accomodate the HIC Valve IF the original application was for a vehicle with A/C. Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

That is normal casting and machining on Carters. As stated it would be drilled out to base if used for AC application. Bottom is machine for access it to secondary bores.

Some remanufactures would also remove it and plug hole if it was an AC carb, depending what they were building it too. So you need to inspect carefully if you don't know history of carb.

Hi George. I looked and it’s not drilled out. Also the carb number is specific to a non-AC car too which seems to be consistent with no hot idle compensator too.

thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back