• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter Thermoquad carb stalls at idle in gears & doesn´t start & let the fuel in carb

I have an original TQ on my 400 HP that was rebuilt. I was ready to throw it out as I could not get it to run correctly. My AFB is so easy to adjust, but this ....
So I finally, last try before I get a Demon wutchamacallit, brought it to a fellow who knows the carb (Chevy guy but hey, they had TQs too). Forget all the instructions in the books about 1 1/2 turns on the screws etc ... adjust to vacuum he tells me. And proceeds to get it running better than it's run since I got it. In fact, I got between 15 and 17 MPG down to Carlisle with it. Runs great even with the A/C on at idle (not that I have it for mileage but every penny counts these days).
My advice, find someone who knows the TQ and have them adjust. If you can't, vacuum from the back of the carb, peak and back off a bit. But I'm sure there is more to it than that. Like anything else, you have to have an ear for it I guess. But that is my 2 cents!

Here is the pic which describes how to solve the stall in idle problem:

bowl vent lever positions.jpg

Thanks again to all TQ experts! :3gears:

Auto Transport Service
Back