• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catastrophic damage to a Max Wedge block?

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:37 AM
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you are aware of a YouTube Channel called "Wagons of Steel", but Chris is a pretty cool dude
who does things truly grassroots with his racing wagon with a MW in it.
Well, it did, anyways....
The carnage when a cylinder hydro'ed on a run is truly breathtaking! I feel so bad for the guy....
Here's a link:

I didn't need to watch the whole video. The big end of the rod and the crank are black. The rod tried to weld itself to the crank when it spun a rod bearing, then the rod broke which took out the cylinder wall and the block.

It would be nice to know the combo and the conditions when it failed

I didn't need to watch the whole video. The big end of the rod and the crank are black. The rod tried to weld itself to the crank when it spun a rod bearing, then the rod broke which took out the cylinder wall and the block.
Watch it all the way through. The machinist who built it, along with the owner, come to some conclusions as to what
happened.

Minor setback. Chris will get it done :thumbsup:
He didn't sound very hopeful for running a MW next year; the money and time needed to build another is prohibitive.
Maybe another engine type and running another class...

My max is .070 over too, (standard bore 440), but if that was a .200 over 413 block......yeah, that's a little crazy.
Mine still has max rods in it, but when I freshen it up, I think il use a set from Molnar.

Im seeing a cold weather block not a Maxie. Anyone else?

Im seeing a cold weather block not a Maxie. Anyone else?
It's a shame if he lost a real maxie block (I didn't study the clip long enough to tell), but if it IS a cold block, just put a 440 short under it, and get back to racing.

Bad deal. I had my end of days destruction in 2016. Still working on getting something back together. I feel the pain. That one became a 3 PC crank.

But the one before that, had a small trace of water in the crankcase.. thought it was a head gasket weep, cleaned it out to finish the day. Snapped a rod couple runs later. Stock rods.
Upon dissection, found the opposite cyl was slightly cracked from a wrist pin working loose. There is no doubt that the rod broke due to binding from the opposing pin. I've still yet to see a stock low deck rod break on its own.
The problem can often be something you're not looking at.
I hope the best for this guys future.

Wow! That block is garbage. I started working in a Machine Shop in 1995, and have since moved on to programming and running a 5 axis 6535. It wasn’t until I started machining metal that I realized how inferior cast iron is compared to other metals. Sure, it machines easy. But it’s dirty, and porous as well as heavy. You can see why all modern engines are aluminum with steel liners. Lighter, tighter tolerances, and last longer. Cast iron was inexpensive.

Wow! That block is garbage. I started working in a Machine Shop in 1995, and have since moved on to programming and running a 5 axis 6535. It wasn’t until I started machining metal that I realized how inferior cast iron is compared to other metals. Sure, it machines easy. But it’s dirty, and porous as well as heavy. You can see why all modern engines are aluminum with steel liners. Lighter, tighter tolerances, and last longer. Cast iron was inexpensive.
Yep. Seen aluminum blocks windowed worse than that repaired to run again.

By the way, he's a man of his word on those "free tee shirts" - I got mine today in fact, along with a large
Wagons of Steel Racing decal.
The shirt is morbidly humorous - on the back, it says "Forensics". :)

Does he have to run those ‘64 heads in his class? Because I’m sure something newer and aluminum would flow just as well if not better. And the added bonus of less chance of detonation.

Does he have to run those ‘64 heads in his class? Because I’m sure something newer and aluminum would flow just as well if not better. And the added bonus of less chance of detonation.
If he is actually running a class with that car (assuming stock eliminator) yes, he has to run those iron max heads, or maybe the new "P" version of over the counter replacements. No aluminum allowed.
Of course, in brackets, he can run anything he wants.

If he is actually running a class with that car (assuming stock eliminator) yes, he has to run those iron max heads, or maybe the new "P" version of over the counter replacements. No aluminum allowed.
Of course, in brackets, he can run anything he wants.
Yeah... that’s rough finding old parts like that. Kool that they made another batch for those guys. I do remember building the 440 in my Charger using the ‘67 closed chamber heads for a little extra bump in CR. They were getting harder to find then. So great that we have all the aluminum choices now.

Yeah... that’s rough finding old parts like that. Kool that they made another batch for those guys. I do remember building the 440 in my Charger using the ‘67 closed chamber heads for a little extra bump in CR. They were getting harder to find then. So great that we have all the aluminum choices now.
Assuming he's running in stock eliminator, THEORETICALLY, he could run a 440 block, IF he can find one that can run standard (highly unlikely, considering the competitive nature of S/E). Nhra allows up to .070 over in stock, and that's exactly how much bigger a standard bore 440 is, compared to a 426. My guess is he'll probably have to find a 413/426 block. Lots harder than a 440, probably easier than a fresh virgin bore 440, though.

Auto Transport Service
Back