• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change Front Disc Brake 68/69 and 70up

BIGWILLI

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering, why had changed Front Disc Brake (power Brake) in Bendix with 4 pistons Calipers in year 68/69 (66/67 too) and 70up not more with 4 pistons calipers. It is equipped with cheap standard sliding 1 piston brake calipers.

Do anyone know, why had Mopar changed brake calipers? Alone only cost (cheaper)?

Last edited:
The 4 pistons setups were prone to locking up pistons. I've seen this on A bodies. I used to daily-drive my Demon w the K_H setup. Once the fluid gets to the caliper, it splits to the halves then each piston. if one piston gets a rust ring or some varnish around it, it stops, the other three keep working. In bad cases, you can end up with only one piston moving in a caliper. Stainless sleeved bores and pistons solved the rust issue.

I Believe the 4 piston was an early inferior design. Seals on the pistons instead of in the caliper bore. Thin rotors with little meat for machining.

The 1970 single piston design was much better and could function for decades without fail.

So a better design and cheaper, less parts and easier to assemble

You will notice most USA big 3 cars the disc brakes were 4 piston to start in the 60’s and changed design to single piston.

The Bendix caliper is a different design than the Kelsey Hayes A body caliper.
I have the original Bendix on my 68 GTX and they work fine. I think parts suppliers like Classic sell reproduction Bendix copies/style new.
However if you are thinking of changing go with what R413 has suggested. The pin and slider calipers are far more common to get hold of and work well.
I think I read somewhere once Mopar changed from Bendix due to cost of manufacture and simpler design.

The 1966 - 1969 "B" Body original 4-piston calipers were "primitive" but that is what the technology was back then, so that is what they were (very minimally --
Most then were 4 wheel Drums)....
They were prone to problems, though, and were simplified. The single piston caliper of 1970 & up was adequately efficient at a lot less cost.
The 1966 - 1969 parts are FAR more expensive now,
Such that if your car has a "disc brake conversion" --
Leave it as is, at this point.....

Last edited:
In some cases, a design is implemented that seemed like the best idea that could exist...Then a new one comes along that is much better.
In this case, the new design was simpler, cheaper and more reliable.

Auto Transport Service
Back