• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charcoal canister replacement

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
I want to replace the charcoal canister in my ‘73 Charger. Don’t need the original style. Just want one that satisfies the function. I have seen some online but most appear to be taller than the original so I am concerned with possible interference issues. Has anyone had any experience replacing one of these and can recommend an after market brand and part number.

I should have said I don’t need an NOS canister. I’m sure if they were available they would cost big bucks since I figure they’re few if any out there. I do want a similar round “can” style with at less 3 nipples, one each for fuel tank, carb bowl, and one to tee into pvc line and into base of carb. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have had one for sale over on FEBO for over a year with no activity. Maybe the $85.00 shipped is too much. If you can use it I will ship it for $50.00
If you want pics, go over to FEBO and type in charcoal canister. PM me if interested.

I was in a similar situation years ago. In fact, mine was dangerous. The car was set up for bracket racing & stripped of all creature comforts. When I was installing traction bars to compliment the coil overs & leafs in the rear, i noticed with horror, that they had cut the fuel vent line & left it open venting about 6" from the hot 3" exhaust pipe. I think I temporarily hooked a hose to it and vented it elsewhere away from any heat. I looked at several canisters and ordered one from a vender. Well, it didn't fit. I was helping my son with his 93 Jeep wrangler & noticed his canister and it looked good to me. Close in size & had 3 ports. I went to a bone yard and the guy I spoke to said he had one for $20. I thought I had to pull it but found he already had done it. So, I installed it on my 73. (by the way, my 440 is from a 1968.) I mounted it in front of my rad support as they had mounted my coil where the canister was supposed to go. I drilled some holes and ran it through. One thing to note when using an older canister, is, I read that sometimes the charcoal can get sucked into your vacuum system. So, I put a couple of reccommended filters between the canister and the engine. Here are a few pic's on my solution and it has been trouble free ever since!
Good Luck!
HPIM0353.JPG
HPIM0354.JPG
HPIM0355.JPG

I read that sometimes the charcoal can get sucked into your vacuum system.
Had that happen to my 88 Ram truck. Got a used can and installed the filters.
I believe aftermarket GM cans are available from places like CCP,
Classic and others. They have several different ports.2,3 or more depending on year.

I was in a similar situation years ago. In fact, mine was dangerous. The car was set up for bracket racing & stripped of all creature comforts. When I was installing traction bars to compliment the coil overs & leafs in the rear, i noticed with horror, that they had cut the fuel vent line & left it open venting about 6" from the hot 3" exhaust pipe. I think I temporarily hooked a hose to it and vented it elsewhere away from any heat. I looked at several canisters and ordered one from a vender. Well, it didn't fit. I was helping my son with his 93 Jeep wrangler & noticed his canister and it looked good to me. Close in size & had 3 ports. I went to a bone yard and the guy I spoke to said he had one for $20. I thought I had to pull it but found he already had done it. So, I installed it on my 73. (by the way, my 440 is from a 1968.) I mounted it in front of my rad support as they had mounted my coil where the canister was supposed to go. I drilled some holes and ran it through. One thing to note when using an older canister, is, I read that sometimes the charcoal can get sucked into your vacuum system. So, I put a couple of reccommended filters between the canister and the engine. Here are a few pic's on my solution and it has been trouble free ever since!
Good Luck!
View attachment 1553263View attachment 1553264View attachment 1553265
Looks like you have a fourth hose outlet that is left open. Is this the air vent to the canister?
Unlike the Mopar canister which I believe were vented from the bottom through the fliter? it appears most of the aftermarket ones I've looked at have a similar hose outlet marked as "Air" on the top. I assume this is the vent for these cans and there no hose goes on it?

Unfortunately, I am at work at the moment and can't check it. If memory serves me correctly, I think that port on the top is cast closed by the manufacturer. I looked at my sons Jeep before I bought the canister from the bone yard and his is the same way with that extra port blocked off. I can only assume that there was another application for that canister that used that port; another make or model. Remember that Jeep was a Chrysler product since 1987.

My '72 didn't have one all the years I've owned it and never needed it, during the resto I wanted to fill in that space so I am adding one back.
Thought of getting an aftermarket but the originals were still around and I got mine for $60 on eBay.
Cleaned it up go a new filter and screws and installed.

Good luck in your search.

52038639676_bf98fdb401_z.jpg

Good Luck!
View attachment 1553263View attachment 1553264View attachment 1553265

Are you running the manifold heat activated valve to open the line to the canister?

Where to you have that line plumbed to, assuming you have a four barrel?

I took a quick look today before going to work. The other port on top of the unit is a vent. I have headers and I connected the ports to the closest thing I could that my son's jeep used. One goes down & under the car to the fuel tank vent line and the other two are teed into the PCV line to the 4-barrel carb & the vacuum advance to the distributer.

On some of the readily available and new GM aftermarket units I've seen online they have 3 hose nipples. One for the fuel tank, one for the purge line going to the base of the carb, and one for air. I've read the one for air is meant to hook to the air cleaner intake on some GM products. The port comes with a "splash cap" cover that can be taken off or left on. I am not sure how the system works if the cap were left on. Seems like this would not let any air be drawn into the canister. If this style were to be used on a Mopar I would assume the splash cap would come off and be open to the air as there doesn't appear to be a vent/filter on the bottom like the Mopar style. I assume the filter on the bottom of the Mopar style is to let air vent into the can? If one of these GM style canisters were used on a Mopar application could you tee the fuel tank and carb bowl vent into the same line? I ask this because on the factory canister for 1973 Mopars they had a separate hose nipple each, one for fuel tank and one for carb bowl with the third one being the purge line port.

Auto Transport Service
Back