• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charging issue

632firebird

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Im hoping someone might have some insight.I am building a 71 satellite,just fired the engine and went to break in the cam and noticed it was charging fine at idel but at 18 volts when revved to 2k rpms.If I swap the 2 field wires around it will melt the coating off the blue field wire. Anyone have some advice?

Greetings and welcome to the site. Be sure to start another thread in the Welcome Wagon section to be sure you get the proper welcome everyone gets around here.

In response to your issue, have you replaced the voltage regulator?

New parts store alternator? One of your field connections is grounded to the case. Both need to be isolated!

I'm not sure about 71's and @dadsbee statement, on a '67, if you get a dual field new parts store alternator, you ground one of the fields. Check your regulator.

'70 and newer both field terminals on alternator should be isolated. '69 and older one field terminal should be grounded, the other isolated.

Auto Transport Service
Back