• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charging system problem 1970 satellite

burntorng70

Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
While under hard acceleration my ammeter started swinging from full discharge to full charge. It did this several times in the frame of about 30 seconds. I had burnt wiring odor inside the car and the car shut off a few times but caught before it was completely off. I pulled off and shut the car down to examine all wiring and see no obvious melted wires and also nothing obvious on the back of the gauge cluster. The car restarted and I was able to make it home but now I have no charge. Ammeter works to show discharge when lights and brakes are turned on. Would a failed alternator or regulator cause this? When the car restarted I had no more movement of the ammeter, it just showed slight discharge as it would with a bad alternator. I appreciate all input.

Check the ground wire connections. I feel a wire connection was stressed on the hard acceleration....but an odor inside...hmmm. Check wires on Ammeter gauge too...

As mentioned, check the bulkhead connection. Also, make sure your voltage regulator has a good ground where it attaches to the body. Sand off paint from rear of regulator mounting tabs AND sand the body where it attaches. Use a little dielectric grease between the reg. and body to keep rust out! I have seen high and low charging solely because of a bad regulator ground. It could also be a bad or going bad diode in the rectifiers of your alternator as well, That will also cause charging fluctuations! Good luck, I hate electrical problems!

As stated, a burnt smell inside not good. That's from too much amperage going through. Any fuses blown, that will tell you what circuit.

Finally got to work on it today. It was the alternator. Never had that sort of voltage spike from a failing alternator before. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Hopefully that is it and it wasn't a casualty caused by something else. I would recommend checking/cleaning your ground connections if you havn't already. Let hope your all done...

I will. I also intend to open the bulkhead connection and shoot some deoxit on the connections.

Auto Transport Service
Back