• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap homemade torsion bar removal tool

LowlySatellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
I made a cheap tool to help me remove my small block torsion bars. I got the 3/4” wire rope clamps at Tractor Supply and a piece of scrap angle iron from my scrap pile. I had to die grind the inside of the saddle and angle grind the inside of the u-bolts to get them to go over the torsion bar. Once tightened, it took about three good whacks with a BFH to drive the bars back so I could remove them from the car. I thought others may benefit from this tool idea.

EA52C29A-4632-455D-BBB0-18C51DD5D7EA.jpeg

08A18944-59DD-473D-9FF5-FD1C3BE83E1E.jpeg

559C43A8-4A77-4547-9541-76B2E1AFEEDA.jpeg

Oh, about your screen name. There's nothing lowly about a Satellite, one of the best cars I've ever had years ago.

So true about a Satellite, I'm building one now.

My first Mopar (3rd car overall) was a '68 Satellite 383. That thing against my '66 GTO 389 (2nd car and HS car.) was a stellar race. Satellite with the auto would win most due to consistency. If I got the GTO 4-speed out of the hole clean? It would have a 1 car length lead. And the race was to see if Satellite can real in the GTO in time. Sometimes it couldn't. Both 383 and 389 were rated at 335 HP. Both with 3.73:1 rear gear. So on paper it was as close as it was on the street.

I miss though days.

I made a pretty nice one at work being a machinist during a time when we didn't have a whole lot to do. Used it one time and loaned it to a buddy and never saw it again. After stuff like that happened a few more times I started to make a list of who borrowed what and made them sign it before leaving. You will find out who your true friends are when you do stuff like that to protect yourself lol. Thing is true friends will bring you stuff back no matter what.....

I made a pretty nice one at work being a machinist during a time when we didn't have a whole lot to do. Used it one time and loaned it to a buddy and never saw it again. After stuff like that happened a few more times I started to make a list of who borrowed what and made them sign it before leaving. You will find out who your true friends are when you do stuff like that to protect yourself lol. Thing is true friends will bring you stuff back no matter what.....
Tools is a pet peeve of mine. And freinds know it. Take my last beers and not replace is better than a tool. I will hunt them down. Lol. Beer? I will stop back at the liquor store and grumble a bit.

I made a cheap tool to help me remove my small block torsion bars. I got the 3/4” wire rope clamps at Tractor Supply and a piece of scrap angle iron from my scrap pile. I had to die grind the inside of the saddle and angle grind the inside of the u-bolts to get them to go over the torsion bar. Once tightened, it took about three good whacks with a BFH to drive the bars back so I could remove them from the car. I thought others may benefit from this tool idea.

View attachment 1455436

View attachment 1455439

View attachment 1455440
Cool tool, i wimped out a few years ago, and bought the t bar tool from Mancini. I feel so emasculated.

When I did mine a long time ago, I just used a couple scarp pieces of wood (likely 2x4s) with a "V" cut in them - bolted together with scrap bolts. I had a table saw, so that makes it easy... but another way to do it w/o spending $.

Auto Transport Service
Back