• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheapest full stock exhaust

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to find the cheapest alternative for my 71 R/T 440 4bbl charger. I have headers and 3 inch system on it now ( well, before I pulled the engine) . I am not a fan of the headers and will be putting HP manifolds on....if I can find an inexpensive stock system. The headers just make everything under the hood more difficult than it needs to be IMHO.

Thanks

Can you find a local shop that makes systems for your needs ? We had a shop fit our Duster years ago, and was fairly reasonable, and works/sounds great...

The cheapest way is to mount your manifolds, and get a local muffler shop to bend up some headpipes to mate up with your header back system.

Muffler shop is likely the easiest and usually fair priced. Ask around your area for references that do custom exhausts, not the chain places that slap on pre-bent universal tubes.
Stock exhaust was 2-1/4" which is pretty easy to bend without much distortion as long as the bend radius is not super tight.

I bought my own 3" mandrel bends and straight pipes. Made my own x pipe out of two 45 degree bends. I measured and mocked everything up and cut everything with a hand held band saw from headers back to stock tips (which I already had). I cut the tapered down portion off and used the 3" portion to add to my tail pipes. I have about $280.00 into it and a day's work to do.

2 choices for stock exhaust reasonable price.....that I've had good luck with ....Don's custom exhaust in Ohio makes Mopar only pipes at reasonable price and bends on the money ......or Waldrons exhaust in Michigan ....used to be reasonable .....the only unreasonable thing right now is the shipping cost ughhh......if you want to spend alot of $$$_gardners is good and expensive ....so is accurate!!!.......I'd back the other members local exhaust shop is best if you can find one a lot of the old school guys are gone

Top, I went with 2.5 TTI head pipes and H pipes and the fit is perfect. The down side is the cost, especially the freight in my case. A local shop probably would have been cheaper, but I like the idea of being able to drop the H pipe section for possible trany work.
In the end, you get what you pay for, and the TTI's clear everything and look great.

Ramrods!
Mark

I have used the 3" TTI H-pipe system on the '71 Charger, and the 2.5" X-pipe on the '69 Coronet R/T.
I have a 2.5" H-pipe for the '69 Coronet 500 but haven't installed it yet.
They fit pretty good, but had to be trimmed to length, and I welded the collector adaptors to the exhaust pipes.
I really can't tell much difference H or X pipe? The H pipe on the Charger allows width adjustment between the pipes because it is connected to Hooker headers, not the TTI headers.
Both '69 Coronets have TTI headers (440 RB in the R/T and 360 Small Block in the 500.)
I think the X-pipe was harder to remove when replacing the transmission, but it's been a long time since I had either transmission out of the cars?

My existing system are two separate pipes, no X or H pipe connecting the two. Going with the Tti headpipes would be a great option since my current system only has 30-40 miles on it.

TTi head pipes are great ! Easy fitment, better sound ! Goodbye headers !

Thanks for all the options and advice !!

Auto Transport Service
Back