• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Dream MoPar?

First and foremost was to get my license then anything that wasn't a 4 door was fine with me. Had even found a 52 Ford with a flathead V8 in the neighborhood that was running but smoked. Straight body, 2dr sedan (yeah, I liked sedans even back then) with ratty interior but it was 50 bucks! Dad wouldn't let me get it and park it out front even though we had a area made just for that. And yup, my first car was a 66 Belvedere.....4 door. Didn't like that too much but it was a good running and driving car that wasn't too bad looking being yellow with a black top.

For me as a kid is was a Superbird and a Dukes of Hazzard Charger.

generallee_medium.jpg

'Timayy' just beat me to it with the 'General'..
Childhood dream Mopar? The only two I daydreamed about!

gyu.jpg

dgh.jpg

gt;.jpg

azs.jpg

'63 Vette no doubt about it.. I was amazed by the look of this work of art.. The lines of the front with the hidden headlights. The rear split window and those flared fenders really got my attention. Amazing car, crazy about the car.. This was as a kid, but when the '68 Charger came out it happened again, EXCEPT I bought one in 1970.. and again in 2019, Yep I got my dream car now, bought it in the fall, don't have a good picture yet..

I learned how to drive a 4-speed in my Dad's 63 Vette. Was a 327 w/ 4.56:1 gears.
1963-corvette-01.jpg

Budnicks you have the same taste as I had back in the day. I wanted to have either LO23 (Hemi Dart), or the BO29 (Cuda). Those were the **** back in the day :thumbsup:
Guess I'll just have to settle for the 68 Charger... darn:carrot:

In the 70's I used to really annoy my friends when we would be riding our bikes through the city and I would have to stop and check out daily driver Chargers, Dusters, Dart Sports, & Coronets parked on the streets. To those kids they were just 10 year old cars. To me, rolling art.

Also a Dart GSS 440, never could find one,
even when I had some money...

68 Dart GSS 440ci 1 of 48 MR. Norms #1.jpg

68 Dart GSS 440ci 1 of 48 MR. Norms #3.jpg

68 Dart GSS 440ci 1 of 48 MR. Norms #7.jpg

a 69 RR convertible would be cool too (pref. a 4 speed)
never had a convertible RR (I've owned 13 1968-70 RR's now)
that'd be a real Calif. cruiser...
I'd just put vintage 70's style wheels & bigger wider tires,
15" polished slots maybe
maybe hotter & better ICU/ignition
maybe a better mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust
& drive the piss out of it, when ever it was sunny

which is quite often out here, 300+ days of sunshine

Last edited:
Another car I was fascinated with as a kid was the deTomaso Pantera. I eventually had a chance to not only sit in one, but drive it a short distance.....bitterly disappointed. Being a big guy in that small cockpit made me realise it had been a dream for nothing.

This article in our 'local' Granny Herald, featured that actual car. My friend who painted my GTX also did a major restoration on the Pantera a few years back. I assisted with some of that work.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=143414

KQIMKCN2XFDW5PQ7SF2RQZGPR4.jpg

HSQRZGQPBFC63MG22AC422DP3I.jpg

IQWNGRGR35DATIX44V3KWRALQA.jpg

Another car I was fascinated with as a kid was the deTomaso Pantera. I eventually had a chance to not only sit in one, but drive it a short distance.....bitterly disappointed. Being a big guy in that small cockpit made me realise it had been a dream for nothing.

This article in our 'local' Granny Herald, featured that actual car. My friend who painted my GTX also did a major restoration on the Pantera a few years back. I assisted with some of that work.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=143414

View attachment 918019

View attachment 918020

View attachment 918021
yeah there's a few cars I really liked
"until I sat in one"
many of the old 30-40's coupes, especially trucks
or even roadsters, were not for me
for that exact reason !!!
I can't fit very well :poke:
the Cobra, Daytona or GT40 (kit) was the same deal
(they make some with a modified wheel base now & bigger foot/leg boxes)
also many older Vette's I liked 56-57 & 61-62, no room
need a much smaller steering wheel to just be able to drive
& even then it was a tight car, very little knees/leg room
& I'm only 6'1-2" 250
a much larger guy, like you @kiwigtx, there's no freaken' way

one of the reasons I like the 68-70 B-bodies & even A-bodies
& especially trucks so much
I can fit easily/comfortably

my 23 altered even had a foot-well (alum cap)
removable access panel/extension of like 12"
added on the front part of the body
& I had to sit up "more upright" than normal 125" wb F/C style chassis,
you were laid down more, especially in an Altered to keep out of the wind/streamline
all to fit my legs & my tall torso

Budnicks 23 T Ford 427ci BBC Alky Inj Altered A-A Sac Raceways.jpg

I had a 73 X type (XKE) Jag, it was bad with the top on
I have a little bit of a tall/long torso, really tight to get in
mainly if the top was up, no biggy if the top was down,
but still no knee &/or leg room

Last edited:
Sorry the Panterra is not a MoPar...but it was a childhood dream car. My father had much the same disappointment when he tried driving his dream car....and E-Type Jaguar.

Yeah, Panteras are great cars, also. I should have put them on my list. And even MOPAR guys have to admit that the 351 Cleveland in them is a great engine. Another one of those engines that I wish I had bought up back when you could still find them.
As I think about it more, I’d have to add Cosworth Vega. Horrible little cars, but who cares, the cool factor is off the scale.

1970 383 4spd Superbee,
92 Viper RT/10,
73 Roadrunner,
73 Dart Sport 340,
77 Dodge Midnite Express,
69 383 Barracuda,
70 Sport Fury GT 440 six pack

Last edited:
When I was 14-15 it was a 69 Roadrunner, got one when I was 16, then I wanted a Challenger, have had 10 of them and still have a 70 U code RT. I have been fortunate in that I have had pretty much all of the cars I dreamt of. I never really wanted a wing car, got a ride in a Superbird when I was around 17 and it was cool and all but didn't really get me excited. I've had a few vettes and they were ok but not Mopar's so they had to go.

I pretty much have everything I've ever wanted except perhaps a Hellcat
2010 Challenger RT
2001 Viper GTS ACR
70 Challenger RT 440 AT AC PB PS 6-way
73 Cuda 416 4 speed custom build
70 Roadrunner 88 426 4spd (project)
71 Charger 5.7 4spd (project)
68 Barracuda FB (project)

IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_2261.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG
Rebuild 2.jpg
Roadrunner 2.jpg
IMG_2116.JPG

Missed this thread somehow...

My first car that I owned and drove was a '64 Dodge Polara 500. My younger brother and I were always finding old cars to work on and flip for a profit. We had many and the Chrysler products were always the coolest. Working in dealerships and garages after graduation I noticed that I wasn't repairing many Chryslers mostly GM and Fords. Kind of tells you something about what was holding up during that time period. CB radios were all the craze back then and my handle was "Chrysler Kid".

My all time favorite Chrysler product is definitely the 1965 Plymouth Satellite. Never owned one but someday I might.

Love the look of the '66 and '67 Chevy II

Like the look of the '67 Fairlane.

Wouldn't mind owning a '59 through '63 Caddillac.

First two vehicles I wanted as a kid....'69 Charger & Dodge A100 truck.

Already bought, restored & sold the Charger many years ago.
Still have the A100. :D

:xscuseless:

View attachment 917638

View attachment 917639

The GTX I had was a car I fell in love with as a teenager....
View attachment 917640

and my '70 RR was a car that just happened along after the Charger was sold....
View attachment 917641

Same location for both photos....22 years apart. :)
My God, what an horrible goblin is next to the van:elmer::wtf::D

Like most of us being a kid in the 80's
and watch the dukes of hazzard on a 15" color tv did it for me, only once I've seen a general lee in person in a show car,
Always want one, a coronet is the best thing you can get here, similar to the general, I love my car.

Tough call many mopars come to mind as well as a 65 GTO (I like pontiacs)
This one would do with a Hemi and a Pistol Grip
I'd prefer Plum Crazy with white and black interior though....
upload_2021-2-10_10-15-51.png

Something like this:
59a5d0c783390_IMG_1114.jpg

or a 63
vtMswAbizticOYyIEpsfsCe-zhIcZ0j-UuKTSiIdUeBYsgjrrvvRQG1Mbp3BYB1TZHdE_WxLOwBVaLBMvoqknOdpPXMAchJD.jpg

Last edited:
If I get another Mopar it will be a GT Dart....As soon as weather breaks, no salt the 69 Sport Vert comes out and I will see how I like it with its new 4 speed conversion.....I am considering selling it and toying with the idea of another GTO, a 65 this time...... No more convertibles though and anything from here on in has to be a 4 speed
Not getting any younger, worked and scarified all my life so its my turn now.....Wish me luck

I've been fortunate having owned pretty much all of the cars that I dreamed of.

Auto Transport Service
Back