• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choke and Manifold Heat Control Valve Questions 70 440HP

Jam72

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Mt project is a 1972 Charger SE. It has been partially completed by the previous owner and has a 440 1970 HP engine, AVS 4966s carb, Edelbrock CH4B intake manifold. It has short headers but I plan to replace them with a stock set of exhaust manifolds I got at a swap meet. The carb has no choke, the heat control valve was seized but I have freed it up but probably best to replace the thermostat and springs.
I could purchase and add an electric choke.
I could also buy and install a new heat control valve to at least replace the thermostat, counter weight and springs.
However leaving the carb with no choke and just welding the valve open is easiest.

Questions: Will it run well enough on start up without the choke and heat control valve?
It will not be a daily driver so I can warm it up before travelling.

What are your thoughts?

"The carb has no choke" Did you mean to say the choke plate is missing from the carb?

Ain't gonna run good without a choke in cooler weather.

I would go electric choke.

the exhaust manifold heat valve isn't really needed.

Mt project is a 1972 Charger SE. It has been partially completed by the previous owner and has a 440 1970 HP engine, AVS 4966s carb, Edelbrock CH4B intake manifold. It has short headers but I plan to replace them with a stock set of exhaust manifolds I got at a swap meet. The carb has no choke, the heat control valve was seized but I have freed it up but probably best to replace the thermostat and springs.
I could also buy and install a new heat control valve to at least replace the thermostat, counter weight and springs.
However leaving the carb with no choke and just welding the valve open is easiest.

Questions: Will it run well enough on start up without the choke and heat control valve?

What are your thoughts?
The original Carter AVS carb used a DIVORCED or well choke, with the well on the intake manifold, heated via the X-over passsge on the intake manifold. The Edelbrock manifold has a spot on the manifold for a choke coil. Perhaps you should contact Edelbrock and give them the manifold number, the carb you intend to use.....i believe they offer the choke coil you need.. without a choke, cold operation will be problematic until warned up and cold starts will be difficult but not impossible. Tge Carter carb does not have provisions for adding a choke coil assembly......just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

My 383 was a chore to start without a choke. Seemed like I couldn’t pump it enough to get it to fire off it but, would run after a couple seconds. I finally got enough part’s together to have a functioning choke. Now pump it once to set the choke and turn the key, she lites off and stays running. Well worth the efforts.

What are your thoughts?
To me your best option is to have the intake cross over working. That means a working heat riser valve and a clean cross over passage. I would also prefer the choke operation able.

"The carb has no choke" Did you mean to say the choke plate is missing from the carb?

Ain't gonna run good without a choke in cooler weather.

I would go electric choke.

the exhaust manifold heat valve isn't really needed.
The choke/throttle valve plate is there. It is just that there is no thermal or electrical external mechanism linked to it. Since there is no choke mech well on the Edelbrock manifold, I expect electric choke mech is the easiest way to go. Another option is a manual choke - common in the real old days but I haven't heard of such lately.
I expect the manifold heat valve may not be relevant or required with an electrical choke, but would be necessary for the original mopar setup.

I've only run headers and no choke just fine, so I have nothing constructive to add if stock is your thing.

I've only run headers and no choke just fine, so I have nothing constructive to add if stock is your thing.
I expect the previous owner planned on going with out any choke with the headers. I could leave the flap in the manifold but wire it open to see how it performs.

Auto Transport Service
Back