• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choosing fuel sending unit.

Ingemar Viklund

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
Going to replace my fuelsending unit for a brass one while im replacing my fueltank, but don't know which one woul'd be correct for my car. Oer original equipment has 3 or 4 different one's to choose from..
My car 69 Plymouth Sport satellite 318 2bbl, 904

You are best off to re-build your original sending unit. The aftermarket ones are junk

Going to replace my fuelsending unit for a brass one while im replacing my fueltank, but don't know which one woul'd be correct for my car. Oer original equipment has 3 or 4 different one's to choose from..
My car 69 Plymouth Sport satellite 318 2bbl, 904
Last time I checked, no brass ones available. The floats are brass or plastic. And the senders are made of either zinc coated steel, or stainless steel. I bought a stainless unit and modified it with a old oem unit so it reads on the gauge correctly.

Anyone have their Fuel sender rebuilt ? Who is the Go-To person for this ? Ballpark prices ?

John Wolf did two Rallye Gauge clusters for me around 2003. Very nice work. One is in my 68 Charger, and the other is still sitting, waiting to go into our 69 Charger that seems like it will never get done. The one in the 68 has been working flawlessly since being installed in 2009. My fuel gauge isn't working right now either though. I suspect the sending unit. I just filled the tank a few months ago, that's when I noticed the gauge sitting at about 1/3. Then I had the problem with oil pressure (that's in another thread), and decided to do the Borgeson steering box. Once I sort out the steering and the oil pressure I'll do the fuel sender investigation.

I contacted John Wolfe & Co about a year ago about getting a sending unit repaired and unfortunately his guy who specialized in rebuilding them retired. I believe Instrument Specialties is doing them however, I have no first hand experience with the company. I have read positive comments about their work.

Auto Transport Service
Back