• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrysler AirTemp A/C

69 Charger

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Mopar Fans:

I ordered my '69 Dodge Charger new without A/C. In those days, A/C in cars was still something of a novelty, and I had never even ridden in a car with A/C to that point, so factory A/C seemed an unnecessary extravagance. However, a year or so later I had the dealer install an under-dash AirTemp unit. It worked fine until the '80s when I blew one of the hoses during servicing of the unit. Replacing the hose was outrageously expensive and I mostly used the car to commute three miles to work, so I removed the whole system and it has been stored away since then.
My question: does anyone know of anyone who works on these things? I'm not sure it could ever be made to work again, but if so I'd probably reinstall it.

Thanks,
Steve Byers
XP29H9B280166
Havelock, NC

Buy a vintage air unit.

Im not sure the costs to repair a non factory installed system would be beneficial compared to a modern system in regards to function.

If its even possible to find parts for it

Right now all you have is a bunch of 51 year old parts. Who knows what it will take and how durable it will be for the long haul. I would get a Classic Auto Air or vintage system and be done with it. It will look better and function well.

Last edited:
Vintage Air offers an under-dash system similar to what was added to your Charger. It would be easier to install than the behind the dash unit.

The dealer-installed system will likely use different parts than a car equipped from the factory. I sort of spaced when I wrote my original reply. The rule of thumb for any heat exchanger - radiator, condensers and evaporatirs in an AC system is - it's dirtier on the inside than what you think. Replace the filter/dryer, condenser, then reverse-flush the evaporator, get all new o-rings, gaskets, and hoses. Pressure test with nitrogen at 200 psi, then evacuate and charge.

Auto Transport Service
Back