• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Auto Air VS. Vintage Auto Air

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
I am researching the differences and wondering what you guys know as a comparison.

I wasn’t impressed with new ac kits, the hvac boxes are kinda cheesy , most use a Chinese compressor , I would recommend an old set up or an old ara type set up, parts are better quality and very simple to add on.. Compressor I wouldn’t use anything but a Sanden or RV2. It all depends what you want there is nothing wrong with the old stuff including heater boxes. What is your goal? What is your price point? What do have to work with already? The old stuff is heavy but totally serviceable and works well with R134A.

I wasn’t impressed with new ac kits, the hvac boxes are kinda cheesy , most use a Chinese compressor , I would recommend an old set up or an old ara type set up, parts are better quality and very simple to add on.. Compressor I wouldn’t use anything but a Sanden or RV2. It all depends what you want there is nothing wrong with the old stuff including heater boxes. What is your goal? What is your price point? What do have to work with already? The old stuff is heavy but totally serviceable and works well with R134A.
Thanks I have time to research this as I am trying to finish the metal work on the car now. I live in AZ and want really need maximum performance from my AC. I don’t need heat but I understand that is needed for operation of the AC system. I have a complete original HVAC system I just pulled out. It looks like a cantankerous beast with vacuum operated solenoids and mechanical dampers Which I hate trouble shooting. The vacuum control is a POS IMO and being 50 years old the plastic parts are questionable IMO. I could be wrong but servicing this set up Looks absolutely horrifying to me. I’ve been over budget six months in so cost is always a factor. So I am coming from a complicated place......

You might find someone that restores them, the ac evaporators are very large ... there is a place in Florida that restores ac compressors hoses etc . I had trouble with mine and once I figured it out it’s pretty simple and works excellent, I still have R12 in mine and it frosts up the windshield on a hot St. Louis day. Make sure you get FSM it will be your friend .. buy the best parts too no Chinese parts you will be happy with it when your done. Make sure you use the proper fan, clutch, condenser and drier , it’s not cheap but a factory ac system is still pretty good just heavy, very reliable too.

As I recall the biggest differences between the two is mounting arrangements. One system mounts through the camber access holes up through the kick panel, and the other mounts somewhat conventionally through the firewall.

Classic on a non AC car here. Sanden compressor. Ice cold for 15 years.

I know ye ol' twin compressor and ultra complex heavy evaporator box works well, but I'd prefer the lighter weight efficiency of the newer systems.

As I recall the biggest differences between the two is mounting arrangements. One system mounts through the camber access holes up through the kick panel, and the other mounts somewhat conventionally through the firewall.

so does the one interfere with the us car tool shock tower supports?

The choice is yours you will probably spend the same amount on one or the other I figure a grand for a restoration of the ac system and it fits perfect or aftermarket that is lighter weight , less drag on the compressor etc ... it strictly depends on you Good luck !

I have the Classic Air system with a Sanden compressor and custom mounted underhood components to hide the system. The Classic Air system has a control panel that matches the 68-70 cars and works quite well (although I modified mine to look more original than their replacement). I have had zero issues for 5 years.

I think you will find those who like both systems, and both seem to be quality systems that work well with a proper installation.

Good luck,

Hawk

I have the Classic Air system with a Sanden compressor and custom mounted underhood components to hide the system. The Classic Air system has a control panel that matches the 68-70 cars and works quite well (although I modified mine to look more original than their replacement). I have had zero issues for 5 years.

I think you will find those who like both systems, and both seem to be quality systems that work well with a proper installation.

Good luck,

Hawk
If you have any pictures of how you hid any of the system components I would like to see it.
Thanks!

I chose Vintage Air for both my wife's GTO and my Roadrunner, BUT with AC compressor deleted. Both cars have the CVF Wraptor serpentine belt and accessories system, and the compressor that comes with the Wraptor looks very nice with its billet aluminum trim pieces.
Also, I have air conditioning, and a 6bbl, and N96 Air Grabber, and a manual transmission, and that just isn't available with factory hardware for AC, and if you force it, you have to cut into the air cleaner base.
The factory compressor is hideous looking compared to the ones we have.

If you have any pictures of how you hid any of the system components I would like to see it.
Thanks!

Glad to hep if I can. My car is a 70 Road Runner Air Grabber car, and my "theme" for the car is to look as original as reasonably possible while incorporating upgrades to make it drive better and be more comfortable. The pictures are spread throughout my thread. Here is a link to where I purchased some of the components:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/hawk-rod-the-restoration.65096/#post-910005909

Here is a picture of my engine compartment, when the car was finished, with my A/C:
IMG_4972.JPG

Here is a picture of the optional control unit next to my original. I rebuilt all the components from the classic air unit into my original pot metal plate so it would look more original.
IMG_1836.JPG

Hope these help,

Hawk

I have a '70 Challenger. I'm going with the Vintage Air. Mine is a Existing A/C car. I like the way there kit fits. I don't like the original heavy system. I had Classic Auto in my last Challenger about 10 years ago. But, I didn't like customer service at all. And I only live about 1 1 1/2 away.

Ron ... I have a Vintage Air unit ready to install in my 64. I have installed the VA system in another car and it worked perfectly. If you don't want heat just don't connect the heater hoses ... it will not affect your AC at all unless you need to defrost your windows during our brutal winters.

Another option that I just recently discovered, and I am having a Dakota Digital RTX-68D-CHG-X gauge system installed this round of add ons and modifications, is a very high tech control panel and temperature sensor system that controls the Vintage Air system via the Dakota Digital system.
I'm not going to use it (right now) mainly because of cost and my vast expenditures that I've committed to for the work being done and all of the stuff I've bought recently. Unfortunately, I probably won't ever install this control system unless I have the interior stripped in the future, possibly for paint.
Still, I think it's pretty cool, if you want a "high tech" appearance or theme.
I may change my mind before the time comes, but not likely...The VA system I have will operate via their switches that tie into the stock controls.
prd_1211.jpg

Ron ... I have a Vintage Air unit ready to install in my 64. I have installed the VA system in another car and it worked perfectly. If you don't want heat just don't connect the heater hoses ... it will not affect your AC at all unless you need to defrost your windows during our brutal winters.
Thanks Jim!

I have Vintage Air in my Satellite, it was a factory air non power steering car. I mounted the Sanden compressor where the PS pump would be. It works awesome. I picked Vintage air because my brother in law works for them.

I'm researching the topic for the 70 Cuda. Currently leaning towards Classic Auto Air because they have separate coils for heat and AC. They also have infinitely variable fan speed with their controls. Looks like Vintage Air is 2 speeds; off, on and high.

Auto Transport Service
Back