Classic Industries ... how would YOU handle this?

General Mopar Tech Discussions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fran Blacker

Fran Blacker FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    2:34 PM
    Frank Wilson slide shows with dry humor were one of the highlights of NeHOA meets for me. He lost many of his slides in a fire few years ago. Ed were/are you a member?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • moparnation74

moparnation74 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      1:34 PM
      lol.....everything takes dollars........my gosh.....At least some of us, me included work for the money we put into our hunks of steel.....

Funny thing is every car I have/had built spoke for itself.....I never had to speak for it.....The work speaks for itself, period...end of story.....

One part in particular come to mind...An original tie rod.....Scrounging through hundreds of used tie rod to find a viable one....Which is a tall feat in itself...Making sure it has no dings, scrapes or scratches...The threads look new on both ends etc.....Then spending roughly 4 hour in total restoring one stinking tie rod.....That is one part.....guess thats lackadaisical.....

There is nothing pretty or blingy about a true OE car. Which again affirms that people have zero clue about a true OE car....very comical....

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Runner 68

Runner 68 Tarnished Bronze Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        12:34 PM
        Bang on mopardtn, thanks for sharing that.
        But that was purely Frank's opinion and I agree to a certain degree and respect it. I agree that the blown 68 I posted above is a little over the top but I used it to make a point.
        Who are any of us to judge each other on here on the proper way to build an old Mopar. It's an art form. Do with it what you want and have fun with it. Most of the fun for me is in driving them. Who cares if some of us want to take some artistic license and build something that "purists" feel is "incorrect"?
        It's a car for christ's sake, not the holy grail.
        For what it's worth to all you purists (MN), my 68 is as pure as the wind driven snow, every bolt and panel and part. I have all of it. Make me an offer before I fuck it up. It all takes money.

• moparnation74

Local Time:
        Can you show me where exactly I disagree with that?........I have had all types of builds....Several were daily drivers, some cruising and others show only....So what you're trying to mold into something is completely incorrect....

I only referenced people who build cars to OE and claim they are OE with a ton of reproduction parts on them, period...Go back, detoxify and reread it it versus acting "butt hurt" and throwing your build in the mix which is NOT what I was referring to.....Are you guys really that dumb? or just that drunk?

My FAVORITE car here on the forum is @hemitis. I love that car and would love to enjoy one like his as he does....Do you think it is an "OE" car?

Again, you are way in left field and obviously do not know me.......Goes back to that "friends" thing I referenced to earlier.....

• Runner 68

Local Time:
        I guess we agree then? There are tons of cars on here I love too, OEM or otherwise. The "ugly" crack was meant in fun.
        Kiss and make up?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • moparnation74

Local Time:
          IIRC correctly....not sure if you do....But I enjoy following an associated phrase "rebuild an old friend".....Sound familiar?......just to level the field here....:D

Runner...we are good, I never had an issues with you btw.....

• Runner 68

Local Time:
          You're correct, he is an old friend and I love watching him come back to life. But he is after all just a car. He will be stronger and better than he was but his soul is still the same regardless of an incorrect bolt or two.

• moparedtn

moparedtn Ed on the Ridge FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          Yes sir, sure was in the early-mid 80's. Myself and a couple friends were known as the "Virginia boys" in the club then.
          I got a ton of old pictures and such from those days...went as far as Ottawa for meets.
          Here's one of us at a rest stop somewhere on the way to a meet back then:
          YoungEd.jpg
          ...and yes, Frank had a lot of fun at my expense on my 'Bee back then. Everything was "wrong" on it, but it was my first "real" Mopar and came the way I bought it, since I couldn't afford to correct it. Many stories on that car....
          I'd kill to get it back now.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
          • Like Like x 3
          • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • moparedtn

Local Time:
            Who is "you guys"?
            Yes, Al's car is incredible and he's a great guy, too - and I'm going to collect on getting a ride in it one day. :)

• moparnation74

Local Time:
            Ahh you quoted me and wondered who?....lol......

• moparedtn

Local Time:
            There ain't any "youse guys" in your "discussion" (looked like a disagreement to me).
            Your beef was with Runner, not anyone else in this thread and certainly not with me.
            I've always admired (and agreed in philosophy) with what you've accomplished.
            If you'd been paying attention, rather than spitting venom at anything that moved, you'd have
            already realized that.

Now returning to my nice chat with Fran....

• moparnation74

Local Time:
            Awesome....special thanks to Fran! The babble is over:thumbsup:

• Mike67

Mike67 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            You might want to see @moparnation74 build thread, he documents every difference...even the brake line clips and the screws they used. His car is outstanding and he is not one to debate on the correctness of OE vs repop parts.
            I like modified cars but I also love the OE look to. It's a by gone era where there was thought and design put to styling.
            You are way off base with your comments and insults to members here that have original OE type cars..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
            • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • chtampa

chtampa FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
              Guys build their cars to match their personalities. Sort of like the dog looking like the owner. We have the Docker and pressed shirt type, then there is the its just shorts and and a car t-shirt type, then the grease stained clothes type and then there is the small penis type that wears the bright clothes, big watch that says look at me I am over the top and have nothing else to offer but excess. How do you do the stick poking emo?

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • moparedtn

Local Time:
                Like this :poke::poke::poke:
                :lol:

Totally agree with your analogies there, by the way....:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                • moparedtn

Local Time:
                  Real by-God ENGINEERING went into every bit and part of these cars - and not from some computer modeling
                  or CAD/CAM system, either.
                  They literally are rolling pieces of history - and they deserve to be preserved and respected as such.

Those who can afford to do perfect restos are few and far between - and among them, those who WANT to do
                  concourse work are even rarer still, so when someone like @moparnation74 does what he does, those of us
                  seriously into these cars and this hobby pay attention, respect and admire the results, deservedly so.

After all, as @chtampa says, most of us working slobs can't afford such, so we do what we can with what we
                  got and save another old heap from obscurity the only way we can, too.
                  If you're the type that loves bling and gobs of chrome and showing off, that's great too - but there's a bazillion
                  craptons of Chevies and Fords out there to do that on, cheaper and easier too.
                  The Mopars are rare and the folks who love them and keep them are, too.
                  Most of us try to do right by them.

• Agree Agree x 4
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • moparnation74

Local Time:
                    Mike thanks for the shout out, much appreciated....you know me and you know who/what I am about....I really enjoy your build thread and what you offer to the forum....

On this forum their is a CLEAR distinct hatred among a few members towards OE guys.....the same ones that cry a river and compare their stuff for a feel good moment dogging another’s car.....They never post pictures of their work or their cars but they are the resident authority on everything....

What I have done in my build thread has never been done. Trust me the OE crowd is PISSED with me for sharing all those details.....I had to scrounge, research and document as many details through the years as I could....My purpose for that thread was to provide that once “secret” information for all to enjoy, incorporate into their builds and when I leave that never leaves.....

it is sad just how quick the “haters” chime in on this....If it is something they won’t use nor do...that’s ok but don’t tear it down....

All I initially referred was people who claim to have true OE cars but have a ton of reproduction parts is nasty...It is a lie and the public whom is dumbed down believes that false information....Then wallah here come the haters and NONE of them have nor care about an OE car...WTH?

I am dang glad my t shirts have grease stains...plus I dont own a watch...there are things I never had to measure...people that make comments as such are the ones whom are jealous, are not man enough to say it to the persons face and they themselves provide zero to the forum.....how is that for a :poke:

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • moparnation74

Local Time:
                      Ed thanks for the compliments....

I work roughly 60 hours a week and also on call....so every penny in my restorations came from working hard...just want to state that because not all OE guys are millionaires and need every penny from their paycheck....

The GTX is the only car I didn’t do the bodywork and paint....decades ago I sent myself to Sikkens paint school to learn such...prior to that I learned metal work from a pro back in the day....they only thing I don’t do is machine shop work, plating and the obvious things we can’t do..which is little....this is also to give you an idea that I am no different than anyone else here whom work on their rides......

I have way too many people here that are quick to assume things and zero clue about me.....

• Like Like x 1
                      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • chtampa

chtampa FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                        I have an OEM car and I have a modified(engine) car. I appreciate craftsmanship, detail and time invested in a car. I feel it is presumptuous to think my skills are better than the 1969 Chrysler engineers that designed my cars. Otherwise I wouldn't have them. If I have a good steak, then I don't need Steak Sauce. I may just be a minority.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • moparnation74

Local Time:
                          No where on the forum have you posted a picture of this OEM car? Let’s see that OEM car via pics of the engine bay, underside, etc. you know the type of pics where you can see the details...We all enjoy eye candy!

everyone else does btw.....

Thread Status:
                        Not open for further replies.
                        1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.