• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaner/wax

Longknife

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
What is a good cleaner/wax to take off oxidation on and old (no clearcoat) '80's paint job. I used to use a 3m polish and add my own fine rubbibg compound to make it cut better. Everything now days says "Clearcoat safe" and I am not sure thats aggressive enough to shine up this old dry, dead, paint....

Mequiars makes a great product for what ever you need. I'd try the Swirl Remover or the Fine Cut if the first doesn't work. They have a Cleaner Wax but it might not be aggressive enough. Using a machine has the best results but a lot of their cleaning products can be used by hand.

Dont buy the red bottles at Walmart. Not the same. Paint suppliers or Napa carries the tan bottles.
20220803_153828.jpg

Last edited:
Griots garage correcting cream is what I use along with their orange or white pad depending on how bad it is.

What is a good cleaner/wax to take off oxidation on and old (no clearcoat) '80's paint job. I used to use a 3m polish and add my own fine rubbibg compound to make it cut better. Everything now days says "Clearcoat safe" and I am not sure thats aggressive enough to shine up this old dry, dead, paint....
If you're not sure that the "clearcoat safe" is aggressive enough, why not try it and find out? Some of today's clear-coats are tougher than '80s regular enamel.

Older paint is different than modern paints. While I would normally recommend Meguiars fine cut cleaner, I would start with Meguiars #7 polish. It works on older paints by imparting oils back into the paint. Do a search on it and you will find it is pretty much the last real old paint polish.

I revived an old 64 Buick using it and the trick is to put it on inside a garage, let it sit overnight. Put more on the next day and then wipe it off and buff. Its not a miracle cream, but for older paints it really makes a difference.
RGAZ

Older paint is different than modern paints. While I would normally recommend Meguiars fine cut cleaner, I would start with Meguiars #7 polish. It works on older paints by imparting oils back into the paint. Do a search on it and you will find it is pretty much the last real old paint polish.

I revived an old 64 Buick using it and the trick is to put it on inside a garage, let it sit overnight. Put more on the next day and then wipe it off and buff. Its not a miracle cream, but for older paints it really makes a difference.
RGAZ

They used to have a "Hand Polish", don't know if it's the same. It had a greenish tint to it. It would replenish the paint with a oil but after awhile it would dry out and the dullness would come back. Kind of like that New Finish product. You could smell the kerosene in that stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back