• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning and Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds.

BBodyBarrett

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
I would like to clean my factory exhaust manifolds and have them coated. Curious if anyone has tried this or know where to have it done.
1969 Plymouth Road Runner
383 stock engine

I just cleaned mine up with a wire brush on a power drill and painted them with high temp spray paint from the local auto store. Came up like new.
20180223_082315.jpg
20180303_133807.jpg
20180303_133812.jpg

Three years ago I was talking to another car show participant with a '49 Ford. He said look at his exhaust manifolds, nice dull silver finish. He proceeded to tell me that an old trick is to use "Anti Seeze". Eventually is will need to be re-applied but I tried it and still looks like the day I did it.

I just had mine ceramic coated in high luster silver kind of shinny but works in my application $170 for both sides, had to do my intake and heads so they would match!
20180822_173855.jpg
20180822_173851.jpg
20180822_173845(0).jpg
20180822_173840.jpg
20180822_173820.jpg
20180822_173813.jpg

I had my exhaust manifolds coated cast iron grey twenty years ago by JetHot and the still present very nicely, the light gray was all that was available comparable back then .now they have many different colors available. I would use them again if needed

they offered a ceramic coat in cast iron and also along with many other colors, pretty impressed with there work, time will tell on the durability.

Q.C. coatings in Shelby township michigan

If you should decide to go the route of Jet Hot coating the manifolds, they can also coat the insides of the manifold. That helps to keep any rust residue from breaking loose internally and falling back into the head and also helps with the flow. May be overkill for some, but works well.

If you should decide to go the route of Jet Hot coating the manifolds, they can also coat the insides of the manifold. That helps to keep any rust residue from breaking loose internally and falling back into the head and also helps with the flow. May be overkill for some, but works well.
That's a good idea, anything to prevent future troubles.

Save your money,have your manifolds glass beaded, and hand paint them with POR-15 High Temp. gray stuff is great and about $20.00 a can.
s-l640.jpg

I had my exhaust manifolds coated cast iron grey twenty years ago by JetHot and the still present very nicely, the light gray was all that was available comparable back then .now they have many different colors available. I would use them again if needed
Glad you had good results. I had just the opposite, but that was a long time ago.

i got $405 into everything,(all 4 pieces) I thought that was a deal, considering prep time for each piece blasting etc.

I just cleaned mine up with a wire brush on a power drill and painted them with high temp spray paint from the local auto store. Came up like new.
I just had mine ceramic coated in high luster silver kind of shinny but works in my application $170 for both sides, had to do my intake and heads so they would match!
I used these guys several times.Had my headers redone after modifying 3 header tubes.They were several HUNDRED less that jet hot!
Looks real good guys!

My HP manifolds were in pretty rough shape. I removed them and spent a bit of time with a wire brush then coated them with the Eastwood high temp exhaust coating. They look like new now. It was a weekend project that included a lot of time for breaks with sandwiches and beer.
Before:
engine.jpeg

After:

painted.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back