cleaning the outside of A-12 survivor carbs

sam dupont

Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
My 6 Pack carbs and intake need cleaning on the outside, but I don't want to hurt the original patina. They have a coating of dust and engine gases baked on them. I've used WD-40 to gently clean before, but I understand that it does have a little solvent, so I thought I would ask first this time. Tried some Windex with a toothbrush, but the oily stuff is still there.

cosgig

Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
I use this for my carb cleaning, it works like a charm. The can comes with a dunk basket, and leaving the carbs in overnight cleans them up very nicely, but does nothing to the finish, and it’s easy on the hands. I did one carb a day, and they have been working flawlessly since the rebuild.

21B7A7E3-9624-45D8-B058-AA449D04BD88.jpeg

sam dupont

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Cosgig, but I do not wish to disassemble these original, working carbs, I just want to clean the outsides.

Geoff 2

Local time
Reaction score
I use domestic paint stripper. Paint on with a paint brush, leave for 15 min, remove with bristle brush & water. Just did a TQ this week, comes up like new....

mrhemi

Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
If it is just the crud and gas varnish you are trying to remove from the outside of the carbs, you can use a 50/50 mix of Lestoil and warm water sprayed on, soak for 15 min., scrub with a soft bristle brush, rinse with warm water.

sam dupont

Local time
Reaction score
If it is just the crud and gas varnish you are trying to remove from the outside of the carbs, you can use a 50/50 mix of Lestoil and warm water sprayed on, soak for 15 min., scrub with a soft bristle brush, rinse with warm water.
Gas varnish is a good way to describe it. I was considering Dawn dish detergent. It's mild and it cuts grease. Never heard of Lestoil. I just bought some lemon Pinesol after reading good things about it cleaning carbs without stripping the finish.

I try not to mess with any survivor parts on my cars unless forced to.

Ski 61701

Local time
Reaction score
A low grade rubbing alcohol 70% in a spray bottle to cut the grease and muck. It will evaporate fast especially if you use an airhose to assist drying.

Sixpactogo

Local time
Reaction score
Why not grab a can of carb cleaner spray from the auto parts store. I used some on my Carter carb yesterday. Cleaned all the gunk off nicely then hit it with compressed air.

sam dupont

Local time
Reaction score
Why not grab a can of carb cleaner spray from the auto parts store. I used some on my Carter carb yesterday. Cleaned all the gunk off nicely then hit it with compressed air.
I don't want to remove what is left of the original finish. The WD 40 seems to work... with a lot of toothbrush work.