• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cleaning the outside of A-12 survivor carbs

sam dupont

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
My 6 Pack carbs and intake need cleaning on the outside, but I don't want to hurt the original patina. They have a coating of dust and engine gases baked on them. I've used WD-40 to gently clean before, but I understand that it does have a little solvent, so I thought I would ask first this time. Tried some Windex with a toothbrush, but the oily stuff is still there.

I use this for my carb cleaning, it works like a charm. The can comes with a dunk basket, and leaving the carbs in overnight cleans them up very nicely, but does nothing to the finish, and it’s easy on the hands. I did one carb a day, and they have been working flawlessly since the rebuild.

21B7A7E3-9624-45D8-B058-AA449D04BD88.jpeg

Thanks Cosgig, but I do not wish to disassemble these original, working carbs, I just want to clean the outsides.

I use domestic paint stripper. Paint on with a paint brush, leave for 15 min, remove with bristle brush & water. Just did a TQ this week, comes up like new....

If it is just the crud and gas varnish you are trying to remove from the outside of the carbs, you can use a 50/50 mix of Lestoil and warm water sprayed on, soak for 15 min., scrub with a soft bristle brush, rinse with warm water.

If it is just the crud and gas varnish you are trying to remove from the outside of the carbs, you can use a 50/50 mix of Lestoil and warm water sprayed on, soak for 15 min., scrub with a soft bristle brush, rinse with warm water.
Gas varnish is a good way to describe it. I was considering Dawn dish detergent. It's mild and it cuts grease. Never heard of Lestoil. I just bought some lemon Pinesol after reading good things about it cleaning carbs without stripping the finish.

I try not to mess with any survivor parts on my cars unless forced to.

A low grade rubbing alcohol 70% in a spray bottle to cut the grease and muck. It will evaporate fast especially if you use an airhose to assist drying.

Why not grab a can of carb cleaner spray from the auto parts store. I used some on my Carter carb yesterday. Cleaned all the gunk off nicely then hit it with compressed air.

Why not grab a can of carb cleaner spray from the auto parts store. I used some on my Carter carb yesterday. Cleaned all the gunk off nicely then hit it with compressed air.
I don't want to remove what is left of the original finish. The WD 40 seems to work... with a lot of toothbrush work.

Auto Transport Service
Back