• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch fan

ksurfer2

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
My newly built 493 in my 69RR is now running great, cooling properly and I could not be happier...well that part isn't true. I can always be happier!

The motor currently has a 7 blade fixed fan. Is there a benefit to switching to a clutch fan? How do they work? Is it as simple as removing the fixed fan and replacing it with the new fan and clutch assembly? Can I add a clutch assembly to my current fan?

Please educate me.

Thank you !

A clutch fan basically disengages as the RPM increases to theoretically remove some small load off the engine, since at that point you should have good ram air flow, but unless you are looking to squeeze every last HP out of it, why mess with success? Just my $.02

I bought these from Summit. My car never overheated, but sometimes got a little hot if I was stuck in traffic for an extended period on a blazing hot day. This was with a big block, a no good flex fan, and no shroud. Now it runs cool no matter what the conditions. The shroud was/is useless on mine as the fan takes up the entire radiator.
This was for an a-body, so you might need their 2747 clutch.

Hayden Fan Clutch 2947
Derale Clutch Fan 17118

In most cases you can just add the fan clutch to your existing fan. It disengages when the engine is cold & engages when engine warms up. You just need to double check your water pump to radiator clearance.

In most cases you can just add the fan clutch to your existing fan. It disengages when the engine is cold & engages when engine warms up. You just need to double check your water pump to radiator clearance.

I have not seen any factory Mopar direct drive fan that you can bolt a clutch to... Is this some type of new clutch that bolts to those close 4 holes to the water pump?

You can;'t add a fixed fan to a fan clutch.The fixed fan has a 1/2" hole in the center where as the clutch dub fits through the fan.If you were to mount the fan,then the clutchthe fan would be too close to clear the
I have not seen any factory Mopar direct drive fan that you can bolt a clutch to... Is this some type of new clutch that bolts to those close 4 holes to the water pump?

Correct,if you were to bolt a clutch on a direct drive fan,you wouldn't have enough clearance without the clutch face hitting the radiator.The clutch fan has a hole the same size as the mounting hub,the fan fits over the hub and is mounted approximately the center of the clutch assembly.

Also,the clutch fan has the blade attached to the front rotating hub,the fixed fan with the small hole won't mount on the front clutch hub.

Last edited:

SEE ABOVE - I AM WRONG

My newly built 493 in my 69RR is now running great, cooling properly and I could not be happier...well that part isn't true. I can always be happier!

The motor currently has a 7 blade fixed fan. Is there a benefit to switching to a clutch fan? How do they work? Is it as simple as removing the fixed fan and replacing it with the new fan and clutch assembly? Can I add a clutch assembly to my current fan?

Please educate me.

Thank you !

I would suggest switching to a OEM type fan and clutch for the following.
1) Flex-fans are notorious for the blades breaking and damaging the radiator or hood.
2) They also have very sharp blades and I have seen friends slice their hands/arms while working on their engines when a wrench slips.
my 2 cents

Auto Transport Service
Back