• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coil for points

gtxrt

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
will a crane PS20 now called fast PS20 coil give a hotter spark with points and is it alright to use with points ?

Only if you use the ballast resistor that is suppose to be supplied with it, per the instructions. You really won't get a "better" spark until you go to electronic and use lower resistance of these type of coils. Myself I keep the resistor to limit the current the electronic system needs to deal with for higher reliability. A higher voltage output is really sort of meaningless because it will never get any higher in voltage than it take to ignite the fuel mixture then it collapses anyway (about 18kV)

From the advertisement:
  • enhance ignition output - fast ps20/ps40 coils enhance the output of factory ignition systems while fitting in place of most oem canister coils.
  • high output spark - fast ps20/ps40 coils reliably deliver high output through 6,500 rpm on street performance applications.
  • stay cool - the ps20 and ps40 ignition coils are oil-filled to keep coil windings cool.
  • points compliant - fast ps20 and ps40 ignition coils come with ballast resistors for use with original break point style ignition system.
IMO.....once again the promise of "blazing performance increases, high spark output....etc, etc....without any numbers or values to illustrate their product and claims.....just euphemisms.... sort of sounds like "smoke and mirrors".....but....for $ 50.00....MAYBE it'll do what is professed....and your car will now be the terror of the street and the envy of all your buddies.....
BOB RENTON

A higher voltage output is really sort of meaningless because it will never get any higher in voltage than it take to ignite the fuel mixture then it collapses anyway (about 18kV)
Exactly, good thing most people don't know this because coil sales would drop about 98%.
Like putting a 800hp capable fuel pump on a 200hp car.

I tried a few of these “hot” coils when drag racing a 12 second car. It made no difference on paper or seat of the pants. A greasy stock factory coil was the same. And the Blaster II coils had a fail rate like no-other.

Only if you use the ballast resistor that is suppose to be supplied with it, per the instructions. You really won't get a "better" spark until you go to electronic and use lower resistance of these type of coils. Myself I keep the resistor to limit the current the electronic system needs to deal with for higher reliability. A higher voltage output is really sort of meaningless because it will never get any higher in voltage than it take to ignite the fuel mixture then it collapses anyway (about 18kV)
already have the factory ballast resister would i need a separate one for the coil too.

I tried a few of these “hot” coils when drag racing a 12 second car. It made no difference on paper or seat of the pants. A greasy stock factory coil was the same. And the Blaster II coils had a fail rate like no-other.
It’s truly amazing how many red coils you see at Car Shows , on Mopars running a Factory type Chrysler ignition system , either points or electronic

Auto Transport Service
Back