• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil question for those using the Rev-n-nator

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:18 AM
Reaction score
For those using the Rev-n-Nator ignition box, what ohm resistance coil are you using? I've looked and looked through the R/T Garage's website and paperwork that came with the ECU box, but there is no mention of what ohm resistance coil should be used. Their website mentions a "matched Firecore coil" but when I internet search Firecore coil, nothing comes up.

Is the R/T Garage even still open? I've sent two emails to Laura asking the question and no reply, and even called the shop but the answering service is some generic message. Their FB page seems rather old. Unless there's some big Mopar show they're at....?

Originally I was using the MSD Blaster II coil which is like 0.6ohm resistance, but that quit on me two weeks ago while on the road. I managed to get a Napa 1.5ohm resistance coil and the car runs fine. I got another replacement coil, a Pertronix Flamethrower II epoxy filled coil with 0.6ohm resistance, and the car seems just a bit off with this coil compared to the Napa coil. The Rally dash tac bounces around alot at idle. I'm running a 4 post ballast resistor, but Troy had me solder in a jumper wire between the two sides so I guess I'm running 12v(?).

Last edited:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Do I need to use a ballast resistor with the REV-N-NATOR?
A: The use of the ballast IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for street use, however, it may be bypassed for RACE ONLY.
Bypassing the ballast resistor may cause excessive heat build-up, if used for long periods of time.
Q: What ignition coil should I use?
-A: For optimal-performance, we recommend the Accell Super Stock Coil, MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil or MSD
Blaster 2 Coil.
Q: Are you experiencing random engine misfires over 5,000 rpm?
A: 1 Try bypassing the ballast. If this does not correct the problem, go to answer 2.
A: 2 First, you have to make sure you have a good tune up and fuel supply. From our testing experience, we have
found in some instances the two wires running to the distributor have been crossed! This can happen when the wiring
harness has been altered or a non-factory distributor has been installed.

I have had ZERO luck running any of these Chinese C D I Ignition Coils with the Chrysler type ignition modules / ECUs that most of us run on the street

So you have the above Rev N Nator ignition module and those recommended coils

Then you have FBO

DO NOT use any MSD Blaster, Accell or parts store Coil, they are incorrect for the Micro-Processor Type FBO Ignition Box and will not perform correctly and will damage the ECU. The Processor has been programmed to maximize output to the 40011 coil. No other coil that we have tested will perform as well as the Pertronix 40011. The processor program is burned to match that coil. (We burn our programming to the processor in house)

For those using the Rev-n-Nator ignition box, what ohm resistance coil are you using? I've looked and looked through the R/T Garage's website and paperwork that came with the ECU box, but there is no mention of what ohm resistance coil should be used. Their website mentions a "matched Firecore coil" but when I internet search Firecore coil, nothing comes up.

Is the R/T Garage even still open? I've sent two emails to Laura asking the question and no reply, and even called the shop but the answering service is some generic message. Their FB page seems rather old. Unless there's some big Mopar show they're at....?

Originally I was using the MSD Blaster II coil which is like 0.6ohm resistance, but that quit on me two weeks ago while on the road. I managed to get a Napa 1.5ohm resistance coil and the car runs fine. I got another replacement coil, a Pertronix Flamethrower II epoxy filled coil with 0.6ohm resistance, and the car seems just a bit off with this coil compared to the Napa coil. The Rally dash tac bounces around alot at idle. I'm running a 4 post ballast resistor, but Troy had me solder in a jumper wire between the two sides so I guess I'm running 12v(?).
I used the MSD Blaster II coil that was epoxy filled as it was mounted horizontally. You can use either the standard Blaster or the rugged one that is epoxy filled.

Sorry I don't know the value of the coil resistance Lee.

The R/T Garage Project Gallery - Mopar Restoration and Performance Services in Belle Plaine, MN (thertgarage.com)

Car is no longer mine, but still runs the same unit. :thumbsup:

I dont run the Rev n Nator box but for years I did run the MP orange ECU. And I ran the Accell Super coil with no ballast at all for a good 5 years and never had any problems. I only took it off when I got a good deal on an MSD ign. Ron

I have been using the Rev-N-Nator for couple of years with an old used MSD Chromed Blaster II coil I got from ebay ( tan top and smaller diameter than laters ) and I haven't got any issue with it. Laura and Troy recomended the Blaster II on those years too. I have used both double ballast ( 0.5 ohms primary ) and the single ballast coming with the MSD coil ( 0.8 ohms ) and in both cases did run fine.

This was around 8 years ago. My car is dissasembled since that.

I swapped in the Pertronix coil last night and went for a good drive, and the car ran very well with it, up to the point I blew up my 727 racing my 70 Charger R/T buddy. Summer is officially over for me now. :(

Auto Transport Service
Back