• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Ballast For Accel 8140C Coil?

JG71B

Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
I can't find anything specific on this. I have Ma's electronic ignition on the 71 with a bone stock B motor (77 400 4bbl), single ballast (.8ohm and a 1.4 on hand), stock elec.distributor, 4 pin orange box and a 8140C coil. What is the correct resistor for this coil?? I was initially under the impression you could run straight 12V to it considering its a 12V unit but, it seems otherwise. I just have found nothing that specifies what ohm resistor should be ran. Appreciate any help

20220905_182637.jpg

So can I run it straight 12v because of that 1.4 or do I need a 1.4 BR to match? That's part of my confusion....(it does say for points and elec. ignition)
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but that means they best be a 1.4ohm resistor in the primary line coming
to that coil.
Thing to keep in mind is the requirement of your ignition control unit as well (for example, a Mopar ECU if that's
what you're running).

The weak link is the orange box.
The ballast resistor reduces the current that the box needs to switch.
I would use the 1.4 ohm but I'm pretty sure 1.2 ohm is the standard value.
It (the box) likely won't last long without it.

The 8140 instructions are extremely confusing & say the BR can be omitted with the Accel Points Eliminator module.
I would use a BR & there is an Accel part # for the res.

A chrome coil is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery bad idea. Coil efficiency drops when it gets hot. One of the few stupid things Mopar did was to mount the coil on a hot engine, where it cooks.
Chrome keeps the heat IN, making the coil even hotter & further reducing the spark energy.

The 8140 instructions are extremely confusing & say the BR can be omitted with the Accel Points Eliminator module.

A chrome coil is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery bad idea. Coil efficiency drops when it gets hot. One of the few stupid things Mopar did was to mount the coil on a hot engine, where it cooks.
Chrome keeps the heat IN, making the coil even hotter & further reducing the spark energy.
Appreciate it.....instructions are silly at best.. leaves one with more?'s. But it was a brand new coil and was given to me so I ran with it is all! I do notice as things get hot it runs shittier. Maybe Ill just run up and grab a in stock Master Pro 2 5195 stock replacement and matching ballast and be done with it for now

Try mounting the coil on the f/wall or fender, even temporarily to see if helps. Longer wire will not cause a problem.
That coil has a very high turns ratio 94:1. That is so they can advertise a high voltage, like 42,000v; & the suckers fall for it. 42.000v sounds much more impressive than 0.15 amps, right!
Most unlikely that more than 28,000v would be used so the rest is in 'reserve', never gets used. The problem is voltage gets traded for current & it is the heat in the current that ignites the A/F mixture. More current is better, not more voltage.

Just like the instructions with the MSD Blaster Coils focus around the Digital 6 Series CDI

Just like the instructions with the Pertronix Coils focus around the Ignitor Series 1 - 11 - 111

Its a guessing game when using any of these Chinese Coils with the Chrysler ECU / Ignition system and what OHM Ballast Resistor if any

Test and tune on the street if that’s the intended purpose

"I do notice as things get hot it runs shittier."

In theory you just tested that coil on what not works

Now test that same 8140 Coil with each individual ballast resistor and

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back