• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold Case vs. AutoCityClassic (the 'ebay' radiator) Compare-O

I just put a ACC radiator in my 66 satellite. used Mopar pt number 2998326 fan shroud and it fits like a glove

Havent driven it yet . But idling in the driveway it never got over the 180 hiflow thermostat thats in it.
Only difference is mine has a direct drive fan and no clutch ( personal choice / preference )

EDIT. I took it for a drive yesterday and still never got over the 180 thermostat in it. Granted ambients temps around here have cooled a bit .

But so far it cools A LOT better than the 22inch champion I took out of it.

Edit. Again.

One of the driving forces for me was the ability to mount an oem type shroud.
I decided to leave the radiator in the stock aluminum finish because it fits the theme under hood better.
But gave some thoughts to / it could be painted black for more of an oem appearance .

View attachment 1363963

View attachment 1363964
Actually, the black paint helps with the heat exchange.....black color absorbs and releases heat enetgy better....know as the Black Body Radiation principle..... Google the subject if interested.....it's a heavy duty explanation.....
BOB RENTON

@beanhead I was curious as to the trans cooler fittings in your ACC in the photo. The stock ones I have, and the Mopar ones I can see online have the 1/8 NPT end into the radiator, but the ACC 26" has a 1/4-18 NPT.

Could you tell me what you used?

@beanhead I was curious as to the trans cooler fittings in your ACC in the photo. The stock ones I have, and the Mopar ones I can see online have the 1/8 NPT end into the radiator, but the ACC 26" has a 1/4-18 NPT.

Hi Don,
I can answer your question in that you are corect, the are 1/4 NPT and what I did was use reducers from the 1/4 NPT to the correct size for the trans lines. I found them at NAPA.
I hope this helps
ruffcut

I was considering that. But I think I have found a solution in 1/4-18 to 5/16 flare fittings. Not that easy to find anymore, at least locally where I know to go. So it's Amazon to the rescue. I'll find out if they work out soon.

In my hillbilly ay of thinking, that's what I was referring to

Going by fuzzy memory here, but I could swear on those brass adapters that come already installed, the passenger side port had 1/8" npt female so I used a 1/8" to flare adapter which you can see sticking out in the picture, to catch the steel line coming from the transmission. The driver side port, I do seem to remember it being larger....maybe that's the one you're calling 1/4" npt? Maybe they've changed things since then too, who knows... In any case, for that one I used the NPT to barb fitting that came with my Hayden transmission cooler, and clamped rubber line from there to the cooler.

Going by fuzzy memory here, but I could swear on those brass adapters that come already installed, the passenger side port had 1/8" npt female so I used a 1/8" to flare adapter which you can see sticking out in the picture, to catch the steel line coming from the transmission. The driver side port, I do seem to remember it being larger....maybe that's the one you're calling 1/4" npt? Maybe they've changed things since then too, who knows... In any case, for that one I used the NPT to barb fitting that came with my Hayden transmission cooler, and clamped rubber line from there to the cooler.

They could have changed them for sure. The 2 ports are definitely for 1/4 NPT fittings here. Could have used some adapters to reuse the 1/8 NPT flare's but then they stick out pretty far. The new fittings come Monday and I'll see how they do.

The one annoyance I have noticed so far with this ACC rad is the location of the drain. Was planning on using a nice brass petcock. NOPE. Not enough room for it with the end of the strut rod. Pipe plug it is then. Otherwise, it's a perfect fit & looks great.

Browsed some of the pics in this thread, and I'm likely not the only one that found this out, LOL.

In regards to that amazing shroud "deal" I should have updated that post. I ended up not actually buying it from that seller since the shroud price may have been amazing, the shipping was :eek:. I did get one from eBay instead.

***Update*** 11/29/23: the fittings were perfect, and after a minor re-work of the drivers side trans cooler line, it's all buttoned up. Also found a slightly lower profile drain petcock to overcome the clearance to the strut rod issue.

Last edited:
Got to put the new cooling system to the test this past weekend. Got in a traffic jam on the highway that slowed to an idle crawl for miles. Normally with the previous rad/fan & no shroud setup, I would have been in a full blown panic and likely pulling over to wait it out.

With the new 26” ACC rad and Mopar 7 blade fan (2863224) that I got from eBay & a shroud, the temp gauge went from 180 to maybe 185 in all that traffic, barely moved. Very happy with this setup.

IMG_2417.jpeg
IMG_2422.jpeg
IMG_2532.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back