• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color orange for air cleaner lid?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
I bought a new air cleaner base and top from PG Classic and am not sure I like the color of it. The new one is darker/more reddish than the 50 year old original. What kind of paint are you guys using on these lids?

20200304_115925.jpg 20200304_115901.jpg

Lid should be lighter than the engine paint. It's supposed to match the original FRAM filter rubber. I found the rattle can of Hemi Orange from Duplicolor is about as close as you can get. And Orange is the worst colour in the world to try and get a photo of that shows it correctly. I have 4 or 5 lids and they are all different colours. My original on the car, painted and cleared from a rattle can I like the best.
ramcharger-airgrabberparts 070.JPG

Agree with @dadsbee , my original a12 filter cover is definately a different shade from the rest of the engine. Im gonna try every brand and color orange i can find in a can on a test piece, to look for a match for engine and air cleaner lid. (I wonder what color primer was used on the lid, or even IF a primer was used?)
@hunt2elk , your original lid looks exactly like mine, including the decal.
Edit: and now we are back to the "four different shades of hemi orange" discussion.

Lid should be lighter than the engine paint. It's supposed to match the original FRAM filter rubber. I found the rattle can of Hemi Orange from Duplicolor is about as close as you can get. And Orange is the worst colour in the world to try and get a photo of that shows it correctly. I have 4 or 5 lids and they are all different colours. My original on the car, painted and cleared from a rattle can I like the best.
View attachment 918354
Thanks Wayne, I tried digging through your restoration thread looking for the answer because I figured you were on top of it. Gave up after 20 minutes of searching. Don't suppose you have the Duplicator #? Is it an engine paint?

Just a rattle can that is sold in our CTC... "HEMI ORANGE". I'll go find it in a few minute while the wife's not looking (back on house renos! LOL) and get a product number.

Chrysler DE1652 Hemi Orange
Dupli-color Engine enamel

Our Canadian Code is CDE1652 yours would just be the DE1652. It is a bit "flat" when it comes to the colour, but it matches the rubber of a FRAM filter very closely. Works on mine with engine too glossy and blue rocker covers, YMMVary! LOL

Last edited:
This is all I have ever found around here. DE1622. To me it is more red like the repopped cover I have. I will have to do an internet search for the 1652.

20200304_124748.jpg

Just a rattle can that is sold in our CTC... "HEMI ORANGE". I'll go find it in a few minute while the wife's not looking (back on house renos! LOL) and get a product number.

Chrysler DE1652 Hemi Orange
Dupli-color Engine enamel

Our Canadian Code is CDE1652 yours would just be the DE1652. It is a bit "flat" when it comes to the colour, but it matches the rubber of a FRAM filter very closely. Works on mine with engine too glossy and blue rocker covers, YMMVary! LOL
CTC? Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Roger Gibson sells the different colors of engine paint and air cleaner paint in catalyzed enamel.

2AE89887-394E-4EDA-AF8F-456CCE2EAA12.png

I'm not picky and just used what was powder coated by PG Classic. I did notice it does not match the engine color. I have cans of the Duplicolor and VHT hemi-orange and noticed one is redder than the other.

An O'Reilly's a couple of towns away had one can and they shuttled it over. Nothing at Napa, Carquest, etc. Hard to tell in the pic, but it is 10 times better than the reddish paint that came on the lid. Odd how every store in a 30 mile radius of me only stocks the darker version, I had no idea Duplicolor made 2 different shades. Thanks Wayne .

20200304_181526.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back