• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column shift linkage. Anyone have a photo?

Hosehead

Local time
9:44 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you guys who have a later column shifted 727 in their car has a photo? I have a 71 440/727 in my car with a steering column from a 66 coronet. What I'm not sure of is what linkage I need. I'm guessing I need it from a 66 or later b body that had a 727. Any photos would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 903
Sorry I don't have the answer for you but I would like to see the rest of the engine bay :)

Sure! Here's where I am so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 397
WOW! That looks great! Thank's for the pic,do you have a build page link??? :)

I don't have one, but I suppose I could put some pics here tonight since it seems I've stumped everyone on my column linkage question!:laughing1:

If you have a 66 Coronet body that is what linkage you should use. The frame and body structure are totally different from the 66 to the 71 up models so linkage from a 71 up will not work with-out a lot of modification. The year of the motor or trans does not really matter providing the auto trans has the threaded boss provision on the drivers side of it at the same place as the 66 auto trans does to connect the column shift cross shaft trans bracket. What you need then is the 66 Column shift 727 linkage set. BTW 904 is different. One problem may be the exhaust head pipe routing on the drivers side. If you are going to have exhaust made up it should not be an issue as they can bend it accordingly for clearance.
Added Note: This would only be what you would need if you are using the 66 big block motor mounts and original 66 K-Member/trans crossmember.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you guys who have a later column shifted 727 in their car has a photo? I have a 71 440/727 in my car with a steering column from a 66 coronet. What I'm not sure of is what linkage I need. I'm guessing I need it from a 66 or later b body that had a 727. Any photos would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you have a 66 Coronet body that is what linkage you should use. The frame and body structure are totally different from the 66 to the 71 up models so linkage from a 71 up will not work with-out a lot of modification. The year of the motor or trans does not really matter providing the auto trans has the threaded boss provision on the drivers side of it at the same place as the 66 auto trans does to connect the column shift cross shaft trans bracket. What you need then is the 66 Column shift 727 linkage set. BTW 904 is different. One problem may be the exhaust head pipe routing on the drivers side. If you are going to have exhaust made up it should not be an issue as they can bend it accordingly for clearance.
Added Note: This would only be what you would need if you are using the 66 big block motor mounts and original 66 K-Member/trans crossmember.

Thank you for the response! I think I worded this poorly again! Sorry! I have a 1971 440/727 in a 65 belvedere. I am using a 66 coronet steering column and wondering if there are certain years of linkage I should use. Does column shift linkage change dramatically from 66-70? Basically I ditched the cable shift stuff and am wondering what linkage I can use, as I don't have any. Thanks!

Hey Hosehead, what you need is column shift linkage from a 66-70 b-body,you will have to drill a hole through the frame rail for the outer support. i know this because i have the same set-up in my 65 Belvy. i,m changing to 4-spd so i will be selling all of this but don't know when,soon i hope.i also will be selling all of the kick-down linkage that i have,if your interested. i will try to get you some pic's. John

Hosehead! I have did this same swap in my 65 Coronet wagon with a 440 & 70's BB727. I took the
steercolumn from a 66 Coronet w/318 auto. You need the crossbar linkage that came with 66 dodge.
Then I had to modify the bracket to bolt to frame rail of your 65'. Your wiring the 66 column plugs directly
into your 65 harness. The hard part is the modifying the bracket to bolt to the frame rail. We had to
mock it up with my dummy 440 block. It does work nice. I will send a couple of photos as mine is now
finished with motor and 65 bb exhaust manifolds. Will try and send photos tomarrow D.Dog

Awesome! You guys rule! Thanks for the photos John and d.dog!!

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just need to find some 66 727 linkage.......:icon_rolleyes:

I will sell you my set up and kickdown linkage if your interested. i'm converting to 4-spd so i won't need it anymore. let me know. John

Auto Transport Service
Back