• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column shifter pivot worn. How to fix?

SDCoronet

Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, the pivot of my column shifter has always been worn and loose. Is this fixable, or do I need to find a replacement housing? Can anyone tell me the proper name of this part?

IMG_2995.JPG IMG_2996.JPG

I "think" the part that's hollowed out is just called "shift housing". I would be real tempted to see if I could weld up the hole & re-drill it. You probably can find one pretty easy since so many people switch over to manual transmissions. I think it can also be called a "collar" or maybe a "shift collar". It's the part with the PRNDL on it, right?

Now that I think more about it, I'm not sure if you can weld on "pot metal". What year/column are you working on? I've got one a '70 B-body laying around somewhere.

Might be able to use some liquid metal to fill it and redrill it

How about a machine screw with a lock nut instead of the rolled pin.

Try welding and filing or drilling.

Are you still needing this shift housing??? I actually have two of them if your interested --$50.00 and shipping from Florida--

Isn't that pot metal?

Not the easiest to weld.

I'd try drilling it larger and pressing in a sleeve.

If that is for 70 and up i have quite a few of those in good used condition $25 shipped to you in CA. PM me if interested

Auto Transport Service
Back