• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Community thoughts on fluid damper

Tony 69

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Wondering what the general consensus is on a fluid damper. Yes, they are expensive. The claim is they should be used on a modified engine but the 440 is internally balanced. Waste of $? Just want to hear the community’s opinions. Thanx
D5FE71EE-CD30-47FF-886D-3001C4A8F6D3.png

Got this one for sale. Not expensive !! 440Source - brand new $ 135..

2001023.jpg

IMG_1183 (2019_10_10 15_49_48 UTC).jpg

The claim is they should be used on a modified engine but the 440 is internally balanced.

I'm not sure I get your point. Every engine needs a damper of some sort. The only drawback to putting them on every engine is their expense - due to the manufacturing process. Also, a "fluiddamper" can only be used on internally balanced motors.

Hmm that’s what I have wondering. I was thinking “protection” for the engine. My engine was built before I got it so I don’t know the internals. And when setting the timing it appears the original has slipped.

I bought a 440 Source damper because I don't plan on racing and because of the obvious rubber
degradation and indexing problem you are having on a fifty four year old P.O.S! The ring inside floats in
a silicone liquid and dampens vibrations in the crank and some from the valve train. For $135.00, you
can't beat it! I wonder how much a stock one would cost??? If you are going to race, Spend the cash
and buy a "Fluidamper"(Brand name)

For $135.00, you
can't beat it! I wonder how much a stock one would cost???

Stock "Pioneer" 383 replacement from Rockauto is $220.79 plus shipping. One left.

Mine's a bargain !!

I've run a couple of Fluidampers on drag engines, worked fine.

I had a fluidamper eat into the crank snout on my Supra due to poor machining tolerances. It was really difficult to get the fused part off the crank. Almost destroyed a very expensive engine.
At that time which was about 10 years ago I wasn’t the only one to have that issue.
Maybe they have less issues these days but I will never use that product again.
I switched to an ATI super damper and haven’t had issues since.

I had a fluidamper eat into the crank snout on my Supra due to poor machining tolerances. It was really difficult to get the fused part off the crank. Almost destroyed a very expensive engine.
At that time which was about 10 years ago I wasn’t the only one to have that issue.
Maybe they have less issues these days but I will never use that product again.
I switched to an ATI super damper and haven’t had issues since.

Yeah right, 'cause y'know - if one's bad then they all must be bad !!

facepalm.gif

Most aftermarket Dampers need the hub fit checked. They may need to be honed to fit. If not the crank can be damaged. My racecar had a Fluidamper for years. When it had the rod bearing failure last year the Fluidamper was cracked and leaking fluid. It has an ATI now.
Doug

Yes, it sounds basic, but the 440 Source damper comes undersize a bit and you have to
accurately measure the crank fit and the bore of the damper. If it's too loose, it will work
on the key that locates it on the crank. If it's too tight, you will gall the crank and bore and
it'll be a nightmare. This is due to the tolerances of the crank! They are within a couple of
thousandths.

So, you didn't read the instructions that came with it? You must have an undersize fit on your crank.
You know, polished too many times!

So, you didn't read the instructions that came with it? You must have an undersize fit on your crank.
You know, polished too many times!
This is in reply to who ??

Stanton. I must have misunderstood your comment on Bang on! Sorry!

Auto Transport Service
Back