• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cone type Sure Grip

Depends on how you drive it. If you ain't batsheet crazy with it, it'll should last a life time lol.
I've done a few more than once. A buddy was racing his 440 6 pack Challenger and I was maintaining the 8 3/4. Don't remember his lowest ET but he had it solidly in the 11's. I did that one twice. Told him he'd be better off with a spool or a 60 for the weight the car was but he also drove it on the street from time to time. It was fully loaded with power windows etc. Generally, I do not add shims on the first 'rebuild' but will ad them on the 2nd. Ya got to keep in mind that the spiders/side gears need a bit of clearance to operate and too much shim thickness can put them into a bind so 'more shim the better' ISN'T what you want. The thinnest shim I can get (unless I make one) is .025" and sometimes the cones do not wear down that much. Just because someone removes .030 from the faces doesn't mean they seat in that much since they grip on the O.D. of the cone and not the face.
can you get in there to measure the clearance

All of mine have been/are the 489 case with cone type Sure-grip and I've had no issues. But then I'm not at the Strip hammering on them off the line.

All of mine have been/are the 489 case with cone type Sure-grip and I've had no issues. But then I'm not at the Strip hammering on them off the line.
The biggest killer of LSD units imo are going around corners with the power on. I try to always turn corners with minimum throttle but yeah, the drag strip is not exactly easy on them either. Going around corners, the outside tire has to turn faster than the inside tire does and that's when the differential has to do it's job and with much power at all that's applied to it, the more it will try to grab when it has to slip. Even with moderate power, it will usually slip enough to not make the inside tire spin or chirp so it's best imo, to just be easy on it in when making turns.

The biggest killer of LSD units imo are going around corners with the power on. I try to always turn corners with minimum throttle but yeah, the drag strip is not exactly easy on them either. Going around corners, the outside tire has to turn faster than the inside tire does and that's when the differential has to do it's job and with much power at all that's applied to it, the more it will try to grab when it has to slip. Even with moderate power, it will usually slip enough to not make the inside tire spin or chirp so it's best imo, to just be easy on it in when making turns.

Well then it's just a matter of time for the third member that's in my '68 Coronet, because mid-way through the corners I'm on it at WOT.:praying:

Auto Transport Service
Back