• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering a/t to manual conversion….

koosh

Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
Looking at 69 Coronet RT, has original 440 HP motor with a/t.
Putting my budget together, and if i chose to convert to manual transmission, would this 440 motor have the hole for pilot shaft bushing?

Its a crap shoot. You just have to look at it. Some are ready for a 4 speed, some not drilled at all, and some are drilled but not reamed to bushing size for the trans input shaft.

This subject is cringe worthy to the purists. Being a purist is not a bad thing by the way.

If it is truly a matching number engine and trans then it should stay that way after 55 years.

Why not pick a non matching numbers car? There are plenty of them out there to alter any way you want!

R413 is correct, although let us establish one thing before you go any further.
A Kit from Brewer's is expensive
And, the Automatic trans is faster than a shift car.
Are you doing this conversion for the WOW factor?
I love my 70 Bee with the auto on the column.

IMG_9842.jpeg

Sorry guys…. Numbers matching really means nothing to me. I def would prefer to find something i like already modified, but these mopars are too crazy in price. This particular coronet is very reasonably priced, so it caught my attention.
As far as going faster in an automatic, lol, im not racing, so THAT doesn’t mean anything either. It is my humble opinion…. That hotrods and muscle cars should all have 3 pedals—- more fun.

If you're going manual trans, might as well get either a Tremec TKX or a Passon A-855. Both have a 5th gear od.
I just installed the TKX in my Coronet and I love it. The od makes it a pleasure to drive long distances.

I know my car was faster in a straight line with the 727 but the manual transmission makes it more fun to drive. I didn’t buy the car to drag race it. I bought it to impress the chicks.

(Not true)

I say go for it, even if you have to have the pilot hole machined, it’s not like it’s gonna hurt it, you can always install the 727 back in it.

Set of pedals for sale on here a couple of days ago. $500.00

Sorry guys…. Numbers matching really means nothing to me. I def would prefer to find something i like already modified, but these mopars are too crazy in price. This particular coronet is very reasonably priced, so it caught my attention.
As far as going faster in an automatic, lol, im not racing, so THAT doesn’t mean anything either. It is my humble opinion…. That hotrods and muscle cars should all have 3 pedals—- more fun.
If an original numbers-matching "pedigreed" car means nothing to you, that's fine of course...
If that's the situation though - no offense, but you shouldn't own one, especially one that's still intact.
Plenty of candidates out there for modification that aren't heritage cars for you to modify, after all.

Main thing is keep the car together .. don’t blow 50 years of good care taking, sell it and buy a manual or not a correct car. Everyone has a opinion just mine...

Your car, do whatever YOU like. Keep/store ALL the original parts, so everything can be "undone". The only "issue" really, is the floor hump.

Actually, the current Mopar Market is crashing....do your research.
This 68 hemi Roadrunner sold for $82K

IMG_9708.jpeg

IMG_9708.jpeg

Be prepared to spend in excess of $5K for your set-up...
Good luck to you.
I agree, it's YOUR CAR!

:thumbsup:

This subject is cringe worthy to the purists. Being a purist is not a bad thing by the way.

If it is truly a matching number engine and trans then it should stay that way after 55 years.

Why not pick a non matching numbers car? There are plenty of them out there to alter any way you want!
Sorry, there are not plenty out there in great shape for REALISTIC money

I already had the clutch pedal installed and obtained all the parts to make an auto to 833 manual swap in my 70 Roadrunner then it hit me, this cars been together over 50 years just like it is, honor that. My wife kept telling me to leave it like it was when we dated in it in high school, don't tell her I said this but she was right again! Now I have to crawl under the dash to get the clutch pedal out and return my steering column back to column shift. Ugh.

I already had the clutch pedal installed and obtained all the parts to make an auto to 833 manual swap in my 70 Roadrunner then it hit me, this cars been together over 50 years just like it is, honor that. My wife kept telling me to leave it like it was when we dated in it in high school, don't tell her I said this but she was right again! Now I have to crawl under the dash to get the clutch pedal out and return my steering column back to column shift. Ugh.
Let me know if you’re going to have the pedals/linkage available!!!

I am currently swapping a 440/A833 in my 68 Satellite. Im to far in to turn back now…

Auto Transport Service
Back