• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

console harness

Jesse

Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
So my problem is that I bought a console for my 68 coronet that never did come with a console. I have the harness for the console but I have no idea were to plug it into. I'm pretty sure it plugs in on the passenger side but there's nothing there to plug in the 4 prong plug. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

inside body harness runs along drivers side from kick panel to rear of car...there should be a pigtail coming from around the drivers seat area to the center of tunnel where console is

Ok, thanks for your reply. Do all cars come with that but there just not used? Is that the harness that goes to the rear lights? Thanks!

I believe they do but my suggestion is to either look at the FSM (Factory Service Manual)...you do have one right???...or pic up one of the color electrical wiring schematics for your application and if the plugs are there then you can wire up the console while using it...

Ok, thanks for your reply. Do all cars come with that but there just not used? Is that the harness that goes to the rear lights? Thanks!

yes, to both questions

For what it's worth, my '67 Charger had no console and no pigtail for one. That got solved with a new wiring harness from M&H. They had never heard of a Charger without a console pigtail. So, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have that pigtail.

the pigtail was there, it was under the carpet or side rail, you just didn't see it. There was only one body harness made for the 67 Charger, so if console was not used, it got tucked away

Sorry to disagree, but I did not have that pigtail. I can send you pictures to prove it. I still have the original harness. M&H was stumped too. It even had a Chrysler number on it that they had in their catalog without a description. So yeah, they did come without that pigtail.

Now, it could be that the harness was for a different car, but the part number was a 67 number... so... who knows? The factory did wacky stuff.

--edit--
I can't think of another car with the 6 tail lights... so... my only guess is that it is in fact correct.

then it was not for a Charger..could have been for some other car..does not make any difference on how many tail lights it has...only one wire needed for tail lights whether it's 2 or 6 lights back there....all 66 & 67 Chargers body harness had a break-out tail that ran from drivers side body rail to center of front seats. If no console was there, the long pigtail was stuffed under the carpet or door sill. If car had a console, then the other pigtail console harness plugged into the body harness for the console lights, back up light switch, and shifter plate bulb.

Even if it's not for a Charger, wouldn't this still indicate there are some harnesses out there that have no console pigtail? Isn't that what the OP was getting at? I'm not saying somebody (or the factory) didn't put a non-Charger harness in my car, but just trying to clarify for the OP that he may not have that plug.

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure my harness was one piece from the kick-panel plug to the tail lights...

Even if it's not for a Charger, wouldn't this still indicate there are some harnesses out there that have no console pigtail? Isn't that what the OP was getting at? I'm not saying somebody (or the factory) didn't put a non-Charger harness in my car, but just trying to clarify for the OP that he may not have that plug.

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure my harness was one piece from the kick-panel plug to the tail lights...

Thanks guys, this is helpful. I looked on my wiring diagram and it seems like the harness is connected to the fuse box on the passangers side. Maybe I'm just an idiot? This seems simple but I guess its not. Again, thanks for the info! I like how there's a little discusion to figure this out :)

Jesse,

As was stated above, the console should connect to a pigtail from the body/rear light wiring harness. This connects under the driver's side kick panel and runs down the wiring channel by the rockers over the hump to the trunk. There is (in console equipped cars/possibly most cars) a pigtail that may be tucked away in there too. It should go under the seat tracks in a channel and run to where the console goes. In every application I've seen, it's a 6 pin connector.

If you actually have a 4 pin connector under there, I can only assume this console is from another car. If you can post a picture of the harness, we might be able to help. Typically, the harness only has the 6 pin connector and possibly a backup light switch connector (automatic trans).

My 69' Roadrunner (with factory console) had the connections for the harness. Harness was junk so I used a donor harness. The donor harness I used from a '68 4 door bench seat Coronet did not come with any connector (could have been removed/hacked/ or never there-not diving deep into that conversation). Being the '68 wiring diagrams show the wires running to/from the console connector as dashed and not solid, that tells my they would be an optional item and not standard. As far as 4 pins vs. 6 pins at the console, depends on the year being the change from a separate back up switch ('68 and prior) and an integrated back up switch (3 pin neutral safety switch-'69 and on). The 6 pins at the console will have the two extra wires (violet and white) for hook up to the back up switch mounted on the side of the console shifter. You can just run wires yourself if you don't have the connector.

The wires you need to run:

Yellow wire- from a door switch- Splits and goes to each one of the two console courtesy lights. Completes ground for courtesy lamps.
Pink wire- from fuse panel-Key on or off continuous 12 Volt power. +hot wire that goes to your two Console courtesy lamps.
Orange wire- Wire from instrument lighting. Lights up the single bulb for the gear selector. (factory used instument lamp slot on fuse box)
Black Wire- Ground, runs from the gear selector bulb socket and was secured to the floor pan under the seat with a ring terminal and a small sheetmetal screw
Violet Wire- From the back up switch, needs to run/tie into your wire for your back up lamps
White Wire-From the back up switch, needs to run/tie into a +12 volt key on power source. (factory piggybacked off same wire running to the radio)

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68CoronetA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68CoronetB.JPG

Good luck

Excellent point! I forgot about the later 3 pin transmission switches. Having been down this road myself now, it is flat amazing how many different console harnesses there are. I have no less than 3, each one different than the other.

To add to this for the OP- if you have a back-up light switch on your steering column or pinned on your dash harness, you will need to disconnect the switch and jumper the connector if you are using a console shifter-mounted back-up light switch... If your trans has the 3-pin switch and it works, you're probably good to go there.

Auto Transport Service
Back